Blocked drains - whats under the flags?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I live in a terrace in Lancashire and I doubt the flags on the shared path at the back have been lifted in 20 years.

Our drain is blocked and toilet stuff is backing up yuch.. (I always get these jobs).

Our drain runs into a shared drain that runs along the length of the terrace, I have confirmed that this flows freely using dye further up and lower down and watching through the nearby inspection chamber.

I have tried caustic soda, copious amounts and using drain rods with the rubber bit on with little effect but it goes nowhere so I am now contemplating digging up the path to get to the chamber underneath.

So I am wondering what sort of chamber I can expect to find under there? I am assuming its some form of u trap.
There is a 6" toilet pipe and a 6" drain going into it, likely then going further down into the 6£ pot sewer below.
The pipes going down into it are plastic not pot.

Are these things openable? (so I can clear it).

I'd rather dig down myself than pay for an overpriced jetting.
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
If you found the manhole, I would jet it out and have it running clear for a fixed price of £90-£120. (if you were in my area) But as we are 'over priced' then all I can say is good luck with the digging.

He has 6" pipes!

In London we only have 4" !

I very much doubt that there is any manhole undert the flags.

To clear a drain you start with the rods either bare or with a metal screw . Only when its mostly flowing you can use the plunger disc otherwise it just pushes the blockage into a lump!

Rod from the clear side upstream!

Tony

Herts, if I could find someone local at that sort of price I'd go for it but from what I have seen I'm expecting a lot more.

I was not saying there is a manhole under the flags, further research has shown that i'm looking for a bottle gulley which I cannot reach into using my rods, I also cannot get the rods into the trap as they do not go round corners. The sewer that runs along the back path is about 6 foot down, the trap appears to be about 3 foot down so I am assuming that it then outlets into a vertical/slanted pipe that drops into the sewer.

I am also looking at renting the jetting gear - but I am away from the house until the weekend so er indoors is having to cross her legs :)

Sponsored Links
If you've got the old salt glazedpipes under there be prepared for the joints to fall apart if you disturb the pipes. If there's a tree or large shrub in the vicinity then you may find a pipe full of roots....

Quite possible the connections from the houses will drop sharply into the main along the back, they do here. I'd be very surprised though if you have 6" up to the house, the main is probably 6" with 4" branches to each property.

If the plastic is above ground, expect it to change to salt glazed once it goes underground. Depending on how much digging you have to do, it might be an idea to futureproof your property, and replace as much as you can with plastic, fitting a chamber at the same time.

Someone has just been around with a drain claner pipe for a pressure washer, although the fitment was not the same we made do and have cleared a gap and water flows OK now.
Although can feel something spongy down there.

Am wondering if I should get someone with a high pressure washer to have another go (will that clean it out fully?) or to dig down and clean it out with the lance from my 1500w washer.

Everything down there appears to be plastic no pot - except for the final sewer pipe.

It's not a nappy is it? If it's just organic stick with the caustic soda and hot soapy water and it will clear.

fixed price fee was 69 +vat

No nappies - our kids are 16+
I have also figured out that I can buy a new pressure washer and a pipe cleaning attachment for about the same price so can do it again and again myself.

Argos here I come..

Has it been adopted by your local water co. ? save yourself £69 possibly

I doubt it, its on my land and is only used by me at the point of the blockage - AFAIK it only becomes their responsibility once it becomes part of the shared drain - which its not yet. (if it was I'd beon the phone to them).

For now though - it seems to be clear and working.
I have used more CS and everything seems OK - but now I have a plan if it blocks again.

Cheers for the suggestions.

Just to update this - it blocked again.

So I thought I'd dig down to sort it out - that did not work as gas and elec services were in the way at about a foot so gave up.

Then rang HSS hire and got a pressure washer and pipe cleaning jetter for £20 and cleared it all and cleaned the drain all the way tot he manhole on the neighbours property.

Sorted. (I hope permanently)

Oh dear, spoke too soon.

Blocked again, hire shop closed.

Me & eldest lad have started digging, got past the services to the top 1/2 of the drain piping, I can see a mixture of bends to make a trap for one part, need to fig further to get to the soil pipe trap and see where it's going. Not entirely sure what I will do once it's all cleared but will be able to rule out collapsed drain on my part.

Will finish the digging tomorrow and see if the rental place is open to clear it again.

Photos of what you can see exposed?

Are you sure there is not a buried rodding eye?

Tony

Can't help thinking you have a system problem. Busiest day of the year for sewage - and you get a blockage. Coincidence? I guess it could be but I'm wondering if the system can't cope, backs up a bit, water drains away first and leaves solids behind - and you get a blockage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back