Blocked Toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My downstairs toilet is blocked with what, I think, is a large ball of baby wipes, which allows the toilet to drain slowly but anything more solid will not pass. I have tried plungers, caustic soda and one of those long springs with a corkscrew on the end but nothing will budge it.

One idea I have had is to thread a hosepipe up from the drains end and turn it on. I guess this would dislodge it, but I am also well aware of the potential for this to go horribly wrong.

Any tips ?

Sponsored Links
Try a gloved hand first down the loo and round the u bend, then a set of drain rods from the outside. How do you know its a large ball of baby wipes and how did they end up on the toilet?

Sponsored Links
As she put them there and has smaller hands and arms than you (presumably), get her to put her hand down there.....

bathjobby said:
As she put them there and has smaller hands and arms than you (presumably), get her to put her hand down there.....

Well it would seem more just, but its never going to happen. The blockage is too far round for me to reach - from what I can work out (by the feel I get on the long spring thing) it is somewhere underground, I'm guessing that its around the point where the pipe changes from vertical to horizontal.....

try sulphuric acid........called "one shot" I think and available from good plumbing merchants.

don't just pour it into the toilet (though you could I guess). I would put a short length of hose through the U-bend down into the vertical drain if it will go. Then a funnel in the hose, then pour down the sulphuric acid.

Check there is an open vent pipe going up the side of the house to obove roof level first though

I like the sound of that - Thanks.....

I think all of our soil pipes are internal and boxed in, but they do go to above roof level.

If you go for the acid method make sure that you wear goggles and glves at the very least. Ensure that the toilet is free of any other chemicals otherwise you risk an explosion or gasing yourself. Keep the toilet door closed and leave a window open in the toilet if possible. Make sure veryone in the house is aware of what you are doing. The last thing you want is for someone to take a dump when there is neat suplhuric acid in the pan. It will eat flesh :!: . Flush well a few times after the blocklage is removed to get rid of any remaining acid and again, dont use any other chemicals in the toilet for a few days.

Personally I dont agree with pouring suiff like that into the drains, as its not good for the environment and you dont know what your neighbours are putting down theirs that may react with it. I would still find a way of rodding or jetting.

Now, I think I may have made it worse. I tried rodding the drain, going up from the inspection hatch and was able to get about 5 rods in. When I pulled it out, stuck on the end of the corkscrew thing was a short (3-4") length of a white pipe with ridges on the outside (looks like some sort of seal that is designed to push in one way and not come out again. The outer diamter of the ridges was roughly equal to the inner diameter of the drain pipe that I was rodding.

After this, I was then able to get about 7 rods in, and the first rod always came out obviously covered in, erm..toilet-related waste. However, using the level to which the water in the pan rises after flushing as a guide, the blockage is worse than before.

This is the only toilet attached to the particular bit of pipe that seems to be blocked.

What on earth have I done ? What was this pipe ? Is it serious ? Do I need to get someone who knows what they're doing in ?[/img]

If you have a ladder and someone to foot it, try pushing the rods down the vent pipe. :idea: :idea:

I pulled it out, stuck on the end of the corkscrew thing was a short (3-4") length of a white pipe with ridges on the outside (looks like some sort of seal that is designed to push in one way and not come out again. The outer diamter of the ridges was roughly equal to the inner diameter of the drain pipe that I was rodding.
ohhh old multiquich comes to mind :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Don't despair, remember its only a pipe, perseverance in the order of the day dealing with blocked drains. Get those rods out again with that cork screw and keep going.

As Kev said previously, if the pan is not cemented into the ground, take the pan out and rod the drain from inside.

Rotate the rods CLOCKWISE never anticlockwise, bend the last rod in half so it can be used like a handle to rotate the rods, look grim and swear a lot. :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back