Toilet keeps blocking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My upstairs toilet keeps blocking up. Ive unblocked it quite a few times using one of those hand pump unblockers (a massively unpleasant job) but it keeps blocking up on the number 2's. I've tried caustic soda which hasnt helped either.

I have two other toilets in the house and theyre both fine so this leads me to believe the pressure isnt a problem.

Any hints/tips would be gratefully received

Sponsored Links
EDIT: aah, one of those bleach block on plastic things that hang around the rim. No, we havent ever used one of those but we've been in the house 2 and a half years and the loo has never worked well so it's possible that the previous owner used one and it has got blocked.

We've tried a coat hanger down as far as we can and that hasnt uncovered anything. Whats the next steps, remove the pan and have a look down the pipe?

looks like the loo has to come off. if it's ok to do so, try drain rods.possibly another pipe has been coupled to the stack and is protruding inside causing an obstruction.

Sponsored Links
OK, will try that again and post back if I run into trouble (or success as well).

thanks both!

I had one of these once at an old house. Lived with it for long enough and then in a pique of anger woke up one morning and ripped the damn thing off the wall.

Found that someone had punched the overflow through into the soil pipe and had left a 3 inch piece of pipe protruding, which was collecting toilet paper and every other unspeakable item flowing past.

The soil pipe was, and this is making me wretch as I think about it, solid with erm, soil.

To shift it, I used boiling water, bleach and half a garden cane. Funny how you become immune to these things after an hour or so. My wife came home to find me standing in my underpants, with her kettle covered in crap, the stench of human effluent everywhere, laughing hysterically and pointing at a hole in the wall shouting "It's gone, you see, hahaha, I've fixed it, it's all gone".

I repositioned the overflow, made good and used the toilet trouble free for many years after.

I know this may seem extreme, but there is no inherent reason why a correctly plumbed soil pipe and toilet should block, unless used by some sort of elphantine human being. My tip is to start early, with conviction, as near to naked as possible, rip the thing up, and go for broke. Once all is done, you'll have the best shower you ever thought possible...

Take your time with the drain rods, if if was a lump of plastic causing, then you may only push the problem further, causing more problems.
Put your phone on record with the light on and see if anything shows up, i can access my drain with a phone.

^^ ha ha, brilliant. Sounds just like that scene from trainspotting!!
Thanks

Take your time with the drain rods, if if was a lump of plastic causing, then you may only push the problem further, causing more problems.
Put your phone on record with the light on and see if anything shows up, i can access my drain with a phone.

Wow. Did I read that right? You put your phone, the thing that involves primarily your face, and specifically, your mouth, down drains to record videos? Man - that's brave. Do you get sick a lot?

What's the flush like?

Maybe you need to get in the habit of double flushing.

Flush is ok, strong enough to flush waste away. It does sound as though something is stuck, going to take a look tonight hopefully

Caustic soda creates heat for shifting grease, no good for a loo.
Is the pipework immediately after the ubend fitted securely , poor fitting can cause loo paper etc to collect there, also changing to triple ply loo paper means a 1/3 more paper is used and can cause blockages.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back