Toilet Blocked - Fills Up when Toilet on Floor above flushed

Sponsored Links
IMG_5084.JPG IMG_5086.JPG

Sponsored Links
See what looks like a manhole cover outside my house in the middle of the road.

Post code is ig3 9pw

Work was done about 16 years ago by insurance company to fix underground leaking pipe

Ok, there is a furnco coupling, which means someone might have drilled a hole in the stack for access. ;)

Above the Fernco is still cast, I suspect someone's fitted the Downstairs WC at a later date and grafted a connection into the original stack. Might be handy though if you need access, and better than attempting from internally!

Whereabouts is the stack you've pictured? If on the rear, I'd expect a chamber somewhere, unlikely it would run under the house, out to the road without any form of access along the run. Thames could be worth calling, but if only you affected, they may throw it back as Private and your responsibility.

It's on rear....but do get feeling Thames Water will throw responsibility back at me

Looking at Google Earth/Street view, if you're one of the 'Odd Numbers' then there are no visible Manholes in any of the frontages of the properties, and no evidence to suggest any bathrooms etc on the front. I would therefore suspect you have a common main sewer running along the rear of the houses, but given the gully is not overflowing, I'd say the problem is fairly close to the building.

If you're feeling brave, undo the Fernco coupling above where the downstairs WC connects into the vertical stack pipe, and poke some drain rods down there, might strike lucky. Otherwise, you'll need someone with Jetting gear to have a go, have you spoken to Andy at Herts P&D?

Appreciate your effort in looking at Google earth. I am an odd number. You are right - my insurance company told me I had a sewer somewhere through back garden. Had issues with tree roots damaging pipes 16 years the insurance company fixed.

Andy was checking my post code to see if he covered the area.

An extra bit of information - Soil pipe to the right in picture is from toilet in extension and that works ok

IMG_5087.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back