Blocked mains/sewer

j03

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this doesn't really come under plumbing and central heating DIY but after heavy rainfall here yesterday the main sewer in the street got blocked resulting in a huuuge spillage and overflow of raw sewage and other nasties in my garden. Called them last night at 6, they advised would be out asap. They finally got here at 8.30 this morning and are still trying to get the manhole cover off in the street.

Does anyone know where I stand with regards to claiming back any damages or anything as my garden and garage are completely flooded and there are lots of nasties everywhere.

Sponsored Links
Drainage is plumbing and should be here but sometimes MOD thinks its only general chat!

My understanding is that you are unlikely to have any help from the Water Authority but you can ask. It was probably not blocked but just overloaded due to the amount of rainwater.

If its serious then your insurance company may help but that has the problem that if you sell the house you will have to admit that its subject to flooding!

Tony

Thanks Agile, it's all clear now....turns out sewer in street was blocked and as I'm at the bottom of a slope it was me who got the crap (literally). Garden will be cleaned out by them on Mon-Tues when water drains away, none got in the house thank god, some went in the garage which only has stuff due for the tip in it anyway. No damage just a bad smell and a bit annoying really.

Guys who cleared it were telling us about the kinds of things people flush down their loos...nappies, rags (non degradable ones like j-cloths) and all sorts...!

Noticed how much the brickwork needs repointing in the process though! Especially at low level.

Sponsored Links
Had a bust up with water authority last week over very same problem, they refused to clear up the mess for the customer :evil: :evil: :mad: .

lets just say after a few phone calls in the right ears, they agreed to clear up the mess. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back