Back Garden Sewer Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My back garden has a manhole which is bang in the middle of me and my next door neighbour. This is fine and not a problem.

Then I have another smaller manhole just outside my backdoor and this is were all the waste water toilet water etc goes down and then down to the main sewer.

What happens is the hose at the end of the run sewer gets blocked and then it all comes back and eventually all the crap comes out of my smaller manhole in my back garden, this happens because my small man hole is the lowest point. And there is not a dam thing I can do about it unill the person who owns the end house unblocks his sewer. Sometimes this can take days and in the summer the smell is bad.

This problem being going on for 10 years now sometimes its blocks 4 times a year then years go by with nothing.

Because my small manhole is the lowest gravitational point I get all the toilet crap coming out into my garden. Is the a way that I can higher the small manhole or move it to higher ground, it this possible does anyone know. If I can do this then the problem will with a bit of luck no longer be mine.

Any help on this would be great..

Sponsored Links
Then it might come out inside your house.

You could try building a few courses of bricks and see where it comes out then.

Or pester the blockage owner to act more quickly?

If the manhole is a joint service connection point, I,e, it serves more than one property then it is likely the responsibility of the local water undertaker.

They may not initially do anything as they don't like to spend money but if there is repeated sewerage spilling then it could be argued as a priority. Speak to the environmental health people at your LA. it may spur the water undertaker into action

Sponsored Links
Depending on size of manhole, look at fitting a sealed, screwed down cover. May stop the effluent escaping at that point, although will need to make an appearance somewhere.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back