Locating sewer pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

I am trying to get building approval for an extension but I need to locate the sewer pipe that runs at the back of the garden somewhere to get my build over agreement with ST Waters.
The neighbours either side do not have a manhole cover.
I have had ST waters come round to locate the sewers but all they did was knock on doors.
The house is pre 1937 so no records of sewers at the back. I can't get a build over survey untill I locate a manhole cover for the sewers.
Does anyone have any ideas of how I can accurately locate the sewers without digging?

Can I get ST Waters to come around again and locate the sewers in a non-intrusive way?

HSS hire a detection Sonde transmitter, anyone used one of those before to locate non-metallic pipes?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's a simply guess based on a few facts.

If you have an inspection chamber, draw a straight line to where it enters the property/s and you wont be far out.

The only guaranteed way is to get digging a couple of exploratory holes.

The problem is locating the inspection chamber. I don't have one and nor do the neighbours either side.
If ST waters can't locate one then is digging my only option.

Certainly would be.

Have you looked out the back for a common drain, I would be very surprised if there isn't one somewhere.

Sponsored Links
A CAT does have an accessory which I think can can be connected to a wire that can be threaded down the drain and then used with the CAT to let it detect the wire ( drain ) location.

Tony

A CAT does have an accessory which I think can can be connected to a wire that can be threaded down the drain and then used with the CAT to let it detect the wire ( drain ) location.

Tony
It's called a tail. :LOL:

Tony

Yes Tony, you can also drop an Ipod down the vent pipe and listen for the music with a stethoscope.

Get two pieces of thick fence wire or wire coat hangers.
Bend them equally @ 90 degrees.
Hold them loosely one in each hand about 18" apart.
Walk slowly one step at a time and "Dowse" for the drain.
The rods will swing inwards and form a straight line in the direction of the drain.
It will also pick up buried cables and pipes.
This is serious advice,I am NOT taking the p$ss.

Yes Terry but it doesn't work for everyone, and you have to be able to read the rods, electricity swings outwards for example, and you need to walk diagonally across the pipe.

The best chance using rods would be to find the inspection chamber, but a CAT would do that.

A CAT works for anyone.

John ( DIA ) tells me he does it easily but he has never even divined a pint when I was around!

Tony

A CAT works for anyone.

John ( DIA ) tells me he does it easily but he has never even divined a pint when I was around!

Tony

We seem to get through a few gallons of wine though :rolleyes:

Located a manhole cover in a neighbors garden a bit further down the street. Getting a cctv contractors to carry out the build over survey as the proposed extension is definitely going to be a build over and not a build near.

Thanks for all you input, some of it did make me lol

It will pay you to renew the old clay under the build for plastic, and it goes without saying you will add another 1-2 inspection chambers.

If you get a plumber to use a drain cleaning machine to put the cable down the drain from the house the cable can then be detected using pipe/cable locating equipment which the plumber may have or know someone who does who can assist him.

Basically the cable is left in the drain, part of the locating gear sends a signal down the cable and a hand held locator/sensor can pick up the signal from above ground and trace the line of the pipe to the main drain, will even tell you how deep the drain is it is.

Look on this page at the last two items this is the type of equipment that's needed, there are other brands on the market besides Ridgid http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Underground-Technologies/index.htm

Much better to dig where you know the pipe is than just digging and hoping it's there, especially in heavy soil

Good luck hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back