blocked overflow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
sorry, must be really easy to do but my bath overflow is blocked and I don't know how to unblock it.

found out the hard way and flooded downstairs :oops:

Sponsored Links
I take it that means I have to take the cladding off the side of the bath then.
I was hoping that there was a way to do it without doing that.

will I need to get a spanner set to do it?

The OV should just pull off but you should take the opportunity to clean out the trap and waste pipe (if poss) too. :D

Sponsored Links
more likely a screwdriver. the panels are commonly screwed round the edges to a light timber frame. plastic ones may just be popped in. and wedged under the top edge of the bath, perhaps with some screws at the bottom.

If it was fitted by an eccentric person you may meed a jemmy or a big hammer.

The screwheads or nails might be painted over but if you start to prise it off you should start to see them.

the overflow grill that you see at the end of the bath probably screws into a socket in a plastic pipe behind.

unless you take the panel off and have a look you will never be sure.

In Norwich and Witham I came across overflows that had been deliberately blocked off by the plumber. i can't understand why, perhaps it is an East Anglian tradition..

I like bimbos.

Thanks
sorry to be dim :oops: but how/what with do I clean out trap and waste pipe?

is the pipe bit, the bit I can see coming out of the wall on the outside

toothbrush, washing soda, hot water, dishwasher. Pluck out the hair.

the bath overflow OUGHT to be connected to the plughole waste with a pipe.

p4649166_l.jpg

thanks johnd, this is a bimbo willing to try and learn. :)

I have looked at the panel.
looks like home made frame each plank nailed on. will take off enough to get to the bit I need to and look first so I know what I am talking about.

Will post again tomorrow after have done that if it looks confusing :confused:

thanks guys..

:D A big thank you, I did it! :D

Sorry for the late thanks but got up last Sunday and no internet connection :evil:

Only back to day at some point, I'm just in from work and its working.

No one mentioned 'get the hoover out to clear cob webs first!' Yuck.

I am sure I will be back with more problems over time, nice to know there is somewhere to turn to.

Thanks
Annie

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back