blocked sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey I'm after some advice. I've got a blocked sink/pipes and I have no idea what to do (I'm a student living in my first home away from home lol).

So the sinks blocked, no water will go down it. I took a plunger to it only to find that when I plunge, water then comes out of the hole above the plug hole kind of in between the taps. I tried blocking the hole with a tea towel and plunging again. This seems to have lead to more problems because when I did that, I could hear water leaking out from under the sink.

I then disconnected the white pipes under the sink which connect the bottom of the sink to the pipe which I assume goes outside. I disconnected the U bend bit, which had water in which I tipped out. There was no sign of anything which may have blocked it though.

Once all of the water was drained from the sink through the disconnected pipe and into my bucket, I reconnected the pipe and tried to run the water. It went right down the plug hole as it normally would but after 10 seconds or so the sink became block again and the same leak happened from under the sink.

The leak is quite a big drip and it’s on the bottom of the sink it's self, where the sink connects to the pipes. It's not on the pipes; it’s on the seal around the bottom of the sink which connects the sink to the pipes. I’ve tried plugging the leak, but it’s too strong.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the its the sink waste thats leaking. Only real way to sort it is to remove the waste fitting (plughole) from the sink and refit with a new washer if its knackered and some sealant such as plumbers mait.

Is this a kitchen sink or a bathroom basin? Kitchen sinks usually get blocked by fat and grease or food remains. Try boiling water first. This should eventually sort out grease blockages. Food remains may need a chemical unblocker (from the supermarket).

Bathroom basins get blocked by hair and soap scum. Again the supermarket will have stuff for this.

If none of that works then you may get someone in.

If using chemicals like one shot ( concentrated sulphuric acid) follow the instructions very carefully! Wear gloves and goggles. Do NOT use hot water. And be aware ,although it may clear the blockage ,it may also melt the pipework. If you use these chemicals and then call out a plumber/drainage operative, dont forget to tell them that the pipe is full of acid!

Sponsored Links
i won't rod or jet any wastes or drains that have had chemicals down them
i just walk away.

Dont blame you Seco!
That advise I gave came from a very bad chemical burn experiance because someone 'forgot' to tell me the truth!

i just walk away.

That's a luxury I can't afford, A BG plumbing and drains customer complaint that I won't clear his/her drain would possibly get me fired.

Personally I would ban all drain cleaning chemicals. They frequently do more harm than good. I once found a plonker that started with bleach, tried caustic soda and progressed to sulphuric acid. After nearly gassing himself with chlorine he called us out, simply saying on the phone he had a blocked bath. That is one we didn't touch, imagine disturbing that lot with a pistol drill while up a ladder machining back towards the bath. :eek:

i just walk away.

That's a luxury I can't afford, A BG plumbing and drains customer complaint that I won't clear his/her drain would possibly get me fired.

:
Good old BG . do you still get 10% of total job invoice £ as wage :rolleyes: That`s what Rhino Dodd were offering years ago :LOL:

Nigel F said:
Good old BG . do you still get 10% of total job invoice £ as wage icon_rolleyes.gif That`s what Rhino Dodd were offering years ago icon_lol.gif

Rhino Dodd :LOL:

It depends which franchise you work for :D. I've worked for the franchise I do for twelve years now, not that it's anyone's business but my average salary is in the region of £25k a year before stoppages. No franchise pays a percentage any more AFAIK.

My boss is fairly good and in reality I doubt he'd fire me if I refused to clear a drain still blocked with dangerous chemicals present, even if he did get flack off BG/The BG customer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back