Blocked soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The 4 inch pipe that serves my bathroom and kitchen appears to be blocked as any time we drain the sink in the kitchen / bathroom it backs up into the bath (as this is the lowest point this makes sense if the soil pipe is blocked). As I live on the top (third floor) of a block of flats and would guess that the soil pipe serves the three flats beneath and have seen no signs of foul water pouring out of their windows I would guess the block is local to my flat. I'm guessing the pipe is blocked with leaves maybe or something like that - so my question is does anyone know of a really strong chemical product I pour down the top of the soil vent that will unblock it? I'm guessing the sink unblocker you get from the supermarket may not be strong enough although I'll try it. I can't rod the soil pipe as it's got a couple of bends in it.

Cheers!
Jamie

Sponsored Links
Is the toilet OK ? If so there is a chance that your bath & sink drain pipes are joined together and the problem is in 1.5 inch pipes. Try plunging the bath, half fill it & cover the overflow so all the force of the plunging goes down the pipe. You may also need to put plugs in the sinks.

It's rare for a 4inch soile pipe to block half way up - it's usually at the bottom.

be blocked on the bends in your flat, probs b4 the junction at the soil stack. could try drain buster from bq, pour down via the loo, but only when waste water has completly drained from bath, follow instructions carefully.

The toilet's on a seperate soil pipe that is thankfully OK.. The sinks and bath all go seperately into the soil stack which is why I think it must be that that is blocked.

Sponsored Links
Have you been tipping cooking fat and tealeaves down the sink?

We're generally pretty godd at not putting stuff down the sink but occasionally the odd bit of food ends up going down there, although I can't see how this can block a 4 inch pipe. (I've had a closer look and it definitely is the main soil stack that's blocked). We're just about to try the sink unblocker liquid...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back