Sealed soil pipe :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, complete novice and my first post so go easy :)

I have just moved into a small flat which has a problem with foul smells in the bathroom. The water from the shower trap, which is the lowest trap, gets sucked away when water is flowing down the soil pipe.

All of my waste water runs direct into the side of a soil pipe via one pipe. The toilet connects to the soil pipe via a flexi pipe which connects straight onto the top of the soil pipe. 6 inches above the soil pipe is a solid brick wall. Space is very limited.

The soil pipe system seems to be sealed so its pulling air in from the traps in the shower and sink. which i guess leaves the soil pipe open to vent its smell in my flat :rolleyes:

Can I install an AAV inline to help vent the system? very basic diagram attached!

Any advice really appreciated!

Sponsored Links
you can fit aaav's
how deep is the water trap in your shower ?
bet it's only a shallow one.

has all this pipe work been modernised or is it original from when built ?

Thanks,

Shower trap looks about 1-2 inches of water...
The pipe work is old, about 10 years - it goes from 40mm to 32mm then around two 90 degree bends before it enters the side of the soil pipe! I'm surprised it copes with a shower + washing machine on at the same time!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back