Blocked u-bend in siphon pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The u-bend in the shared siphon pipe keeps (20 years its been a problem) getting blocked. I am the last of ten houses which uses the toilet waste pipe. The waste fills the manhole in my garden then spills into my storage 'kitchen' area within my house. The waste finds the lowest drain to escape though.
Seven Trent roded it last time as a good will gesture but the house is 1940 ish so not their responsibility.
1. How do I get the problem resolved?
2. How do I get neighbours to contribute?
3. Do private contractors get involved with jointing into Seven Trent public pipework or does Seven Trent have to do it?
Please can I have some advice. View images after you have eaten, not before. Female pensioner, living alone.

Sponsored Links
My first course of action would be to speak to the local authority's Environmental Health Department. That's a health hazard.

The house is 70 years old, yet the problem has only been happening for 20 years.
There's either a blockage that has never been cleared properly when it's been rodded, a break of some sort causing snagging or there's a (partial) collapse.

Thank you. I feel I am going round the twist. You are the only person to say anything sensible. Everyone including neighbours are just doing the minimum. It feels like I am on my own battling ... as you say with no ammunition.

Thank you. I feel I am going round the twist. You are the only person to say anything sensible. Everyone including neighbours are just doing the minimum. It feels like I am on my own battling ... as you say with no ammunition.

Are you saying my suggestion of dynamite is not sensible or what :LOL:

He's right though. My missus is an EHO. get them out when its pooey and they can weild a bit of muscle against the water co. who will otherwise d*ck you about.

Even knowing what we know we had terrible trouble initially getting Yorkshire Water to act when a neighbours sewage started coming into our cellar in 2008 (1885 terrace of four so their responsibility). Only when they realised we were not going away did something get done. They were trying not to spend money, but with all the faffing about they did 'pretending' they had fixed it they spent far more than if they had just relined the sewer in the first place..which is what they ended up doing anyway...18 months later :rolleyes:

Good luck, hope you get it sorted.

Alfredo

Sponsored Links
The u-bend in the shared siphon pipe keeps getting blocked. I am the last of ten houses which uses the toilet waste pipe. The waste fills the manhole in my garden then spills .
U bend in shared ........pipe - You mean the interceptor in the drain :idea: Unfortunately they do that :cry: First step remove and dispose of the rodding bung - then it just fills and overflows down that hole . Total fix - dig it out and reform the channel - All unofficial work that I have witnessed over the years on country properties where not too many officials nose around ;) . Relatively easy on a shallow manhole . 20 years of blocking - Someone in the 10 houses in the last 20 years is putting chip fat down the drain :idea: . Been , done and got the T shirt on that one : A friend had exactly the same problem - but as a popular and well liked fellow he spoke politely to his neighbours about it - and it stopped blocking . Row of Council + some ex. council houses - six , I think.

First course of action, get Environmental Health out. Show them the pictures. It is disgusting and a health hazard, the situation cannot be left to continue. Severn Trent wont be interested, it was laid after October 1937, so the pipe is the shared responsibility between all the properties that use it.

Hopefully the EHO will be able to organise some action, as Nige has said, ultimately it needs digging up, the interceptor removing and the pipework reconnecting. EH have the power (if friendly chat doesn't work), to serve a 48hour notice on all concerned. (You all get 48 hours notice of EH intention to carry out the work and send you the bill for your share!)

This means EH will organise getting the work done, then bill all the property owners concerned accordingly. If they wont help, i'd be inclined to get a sealed cover fitted on your manhole. If its bedded on securely then the sewage will back up the line until it finds new lowest point to escape. Maybe if one of the neighbours gets the problem they may be more interested in getting something done.....

Today, following advice from this site, I have emailed photos/details over to EH South Birmingham. But the B'Ham CC site does not give an address. Hard to pursue when automated replies arrive - easy for EH ignore emails of complaint. Would rather send registered hard copy my self.
I do not mind paying my share if that is what it takes. Certainly do not want to pay up front then try to claim off neighbours myself. If EH will get it done that would be excellent.
Thanks for all the replies ... it is awesome

Depending how much of a headache it's giving you, phone around for a FIXED PRICE to have your manhole hole jetted out. You could be looking at as little as £75.00.

Then check it every 3-4 months.

Andy

Thanks for your advice. I have had that done via insurance claim once. I need to get a more permanent solution now. I am getting too old to keep clearing up all this pooy stuff now. If this was happening in a hospital or nursing home everyone would have MRSA.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back