Blocking in a kitchen window and doorway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am changing my kitchen around and as a result what to block up one doorway and one window. There are on opposite sides of the kitchen. The door is pretty standard size, the window is 50x70cm. The windows goes between the kitchen and conservatory; the door between two walls therefore they are both internal.

What I’d like to know is whether I can block these openings with timber studs or do I need to block them using lightweight blocks.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
By far & away the best method is to block them out, render/base out to existing level, reinforce around the join & re-skim the entire wall but you can stud & board over successfully if you do it correctly. If you just butt the plasterboard to the existing wall line, it’s a recipe for permanent cracks around the openings as you will get differential expansion/contraction where the two different materials meet. Best method is to hack a strip of the plaster/base coat back on the old wall (assuming it’s plastered!) & position the studding so you can overlap the existing (now bare) wall with the new PB by at least 200mm but the more the better. The new PB should be set so it ends up flush with the original plaster level (use drywall adhesive here). Make a raged edge on the old plaster with a hammer & fill out the gap between the two with Bonding plaster, apply 3 overlapping layers of reinforcing tape over the join & re-skim the whole wall.

Block them in. If walls are block, use block, if walls brick use brick. No differential movement then
Screw frame cramp into reveals about every 600mm.as ties. Chop back plaster, straight cut as poss, 100mm out all round opening. Float with either hard wall or sand and cement. cut rule 150mm longer than the width you have got to patch, cut slot in rule each end about 90mm long and 3mm deep, rule up of off existing plaster side to side, scratch back edges, leaving floating coat set back by 3mm. Skim with multi finish.
Done properly, never know it is there. One flat service. If you do not get it right then you can always flash skim a coat over whole wall.
old .un.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back