Advice required on building works quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I've been struggling to get quotes for some building works I require.

These include:

1) remove kitchen window, cut out wall under the window, install french doors (1180mm x 2250mm).

2) block up old back door in kitchen, install small window in it's place.

3) move an internal doorway over 650mm. The wall is solid rather than stud. It seems quite thick and prob double skin. It isnt a supporting wall though. So this would involve widening doorway opening, then blocking up on the other side to close it back up a bit for a standard door.

4) replace single glazed bathroom window with new UPVC one (1230 x 870mm opening).

I would supply the french doors and the 2 windows.

The only real quote I've managed to get so far is £1,880, including all materials other than the doors and 2 windows as above.

How does this sound to you guys??

Cheers,
Phil

Sponsored Links
What do you mean by 'real quote'? Are you a penny pincher looking for cheap? Read this forum and see what happens when people skimp.

Approx 4-5 days work there phil, allowing for the materials and rubbish disposal i would say that's a fair price.

What do you mean by 'real quote'? Are you a penny pincher looking for cheap? Read this forum and see what happens when people skimp.

Just looking for value and fairness with a price. I've had 4 builders round so far. 2 havnt got back to me and the other didnt quote everything and just seemed a bit less sure of things.
The 'real' quote was just the one in full for all work from a confident and seemingly professional bloke.

alastairreid said:
Approx 4-5 days work there phil, allowing for the materials and rubbish disposal i would say that's a fair price.

Cheers for the that. I've not got much to go on so any advice is appreciated!

Sponsored Links
I now use a builder I've had do work and know I can trust. He's not the cheapest and his prices are what they are.......the end result though is top notch. No shortcuts etc. all work done to a high standard and all products good quality.

He first came to my notice when I wanted a conservatory and some other work done. He built the conservatory, but was c£400 more than the guy I got in to do the other work.
Long story short, the other guy was cheap in all the bad meanings of the word, (though midway in the quotes I got), and all his work has had to be redone. He used seconds and the cheapest of everything, even holding a 7' concrete fence post up with just a brick!!!

He dissolved the company rather than face me in court.

Moral - what looks like good value on paper can be anything but.

Check out several jobs before making a decision.

If you are in S Yorks and want to see the good work my conservatory guy has done, inc fence and paving, drop me a note and come and have a look. I'll be happy to show you the photos of the other guys attempt too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back