Door to window / window to door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what I would like to do is to swap a door and a window around
I have a utility room with the back door leading off and the kitchen with just a window so it will involve taking out the kitchen window and removing the section of wall below leaving the lintel in place then having a door and window section made up to fit.
Then removing the existing back door from the utility room bricking up the bottom section and fitting a window to fit the opening .
So I'm assuming the lintels will both be ok
Is it ok just to remove the lower section of brickwork ?
Brick up the lower half of the doorway ?
Do I need building controll ?
The kitchen will remain the same and the utility room will then be used as a downstairs bedroom so apart from moving a couple of water pipes from under the window no other services / electrics need to be touched
Advice needed please

Sponsored Links
Done a similar job myself last year- only difference being the 'lintel' above the (leanto) kitchen window was supported by the rafters (brickwork below having mysteriously vanished). So structurally you're OK though have a look at the state of the brickwork below the window (the bit you are going to remove to make a doorway) before you attack it with a bolster- if it looks a bit shaky you'll be better off with a disc cutter- either straight cut or use a grinder to take out the beds so you can tooth your new wall in.

However, new windows/doors are notifiable UNLESS fitted by a FENSA or similar registered firm. If you get a FENSA bunch to do it they'll just fit to your requirements- if you get Building Control involved you MIGHT have to look at improving wall insulation- in fact rereading the post unless you're in a modern build I'd recommend you improve wall insulation (presumably you're redecorating?) anyway to make the space a bit more comfortable.

There's also something about a window within x mm of a door has to have toughened glass (or laminated, can't remember which)- again FENSA fitter or BCO should keep you right whichever route you go.

And make sure your new bedroom window can be used as a fire exit otherwise anyone in that room could be FUBAR if you have a kitchen incident!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back