turning a window to a door...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I need some advice....If I want to turn the window to the side of my garden into a door
is it do-able?

there is only a lintel at the bottom....i can t see one at the top unless the blue circled section is counted as a lintel? its just vertical bricks....

the other concern is there is something called a tie rod iron plate thing behind the pipe (see green arrow) - this is because there was some bulging apparently long time ago
and i dont want to weaken anything of course!

i should add the reason i want to add a door to the side is i want to possible turn this into a side extension - so its something of a utility room that i can just access from inside the house (kitchen) via the current window......

and obviously add a window or bricks where the plant pot/bench is to close it off.
and cover the circular drain somehow too. maybe just lay some vynal on it to keep access. i dont want anything too fancy. just a space to do laundry etc. but access via the kitchen obviously and not garden
IMG_7462.jpg

Sponsored Links
The bottom i snot relevant, its a cill not a lintel.

The top is a soldier course brick arch, it may be ok to knock out the window and install a door retaining the arch -it depends on how stable the brickwork is and whether the inside has a proper lintel.

I cant see the tie rod.

If the wall stays up now above a window, it will stay up above a door. Tie rod or not.

You have an arch circled in blue. These are self supporting.

so i would basically keep the arch - and lose the lintel below the current window and a door can literally slot in?

Sponsored Links
lol - you know what i mean! i am used to lintels!
The bottom i snot relevant, its a cill not a lintel.

The top is a soldier course brick arch, it may be ok to knock out the window and install a door retaining the arch -it depends on how stable the brickwork is and whether the inside has a proper lintel.

I cant see the tie rod.

there is not lintel....this is my point....i am worried about putting a door for this reason......

the tie rod you cant see it - but it's basically where the green arrow behind the pipe

Here is an angle where you can see these tie rod things.....if that's what they are called!

Attachments

• IMG_7556.jpg
    IMG_7556.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 99
Is that a boiler flue by arched bricks ? if so may be to near(planned door) for regs ?

Tie rod or bar with a Pattress plate on the end.

thanks! whatever it is - it makes me anxious about touching anything on this wall.....
but it seems a door to replace the window shouldnt be a problem by the sounds of it!

Is that a boiler flue by arched bricks ? if so may be to near(planned door) for regs ?

and yes this is a boiler flue....if anything however the max height of the door will actually be lower than a max height of a window .....

but obviously wouldnt do anything without permission anyway.

i just wanted to get a few ideas on if it was even possible :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back