Lintel over door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
I have a slight worry that I want to run by all you experienced chaps.
I am doing lots of work on my house at the moment and one of the jobs is to get new uPVC doors fitted. The doors that are being fitted are:- kitchen(leading to linked utility room) and front and back doors at either end of passage between kitchen and utility. The front and back have both got a steel lintel above and the edge of this is just visible. The one from the kitchen has no lintel visible. There is a soldier course above this door so I assumed that the lintel was behind the mortar. Just to make sure I removed a brick from the soldier course. Problem is, I can't see a lintel of any sort. This is worrying me cos this door is actually on the gable end!! Is it possible that there was never a lintel in place? I am worried about removing the frame cos I don't want the side of my house to collapse but surely, it doesn't all rest on a wooden doorframe, does it?
I need to sort this quickly because the new regs for windows and doors come in at the end of the month and it's gonna cost me money!!!
My house was built in 1951 and if you go on google street view, post code M35 0WB you will be able to see the type of house that it is.

Peadee

Sponsored Links
There seems something a bit wrong with posting your address on a forum, personally I'd just post a photo or take a part screen capture off streetview to show the house.

Good point, I wasn't thinking due to having had several ales! I was just thinking about the side of my house collapsing around me!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back