Blocking Up Chimneys

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I need to block 3 chimneys as they are letting in enormous amounts of cold air. The 4th I am using for a proper wood burner.

The 3 chimneys I am not using I was going to block with a paper mache...
Is there a risk of fire ?

I understood that each chimney has its one whole so there is no way a spark can go up one chimney and down another.

Would appreciate some assistance..or advice.

To block it I was going to use the newspaper add some water and some wallpaper paste and create a mache and stuff it up the hole. All the chimneys have proper fireplaces (but not burners)...and have not been used.

The house is a 30's semi detatched.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
thanks for this, but I am really trying to save cash as when we bought this place did not realise that it has not had any insulation what so ever.

Someone on another forum suggested a heavy duty bin bag stuffed with roof insulation as a cheap alternative to a chimney balloon

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for this. Are there any saftey / fire risks ? I am obviously not going to use the ones I block up, but will use the ones that I dont block up thank you.

Ermm..how can air come down a chimney?

Are you sure it's not just an draught being pulled through UP the chimney?

I guess you could look at it another way and say it's sucking the hot air out your room!

I have figured out that cold air falls and that the chimney is cold.

I have also figured out that I need to block it.

I was asking that if I block it with paper is there a fire risk ? (assuming I am not using the same chimney but another chimney ? Are the chimneys interjoined or are they all indepdenent ?

Chimneys are independant of eachother, or certainly should be.
Try a roll of loft insulation - the rockwool type. Roll it up and stick it in the 'ole.
John :)

Chimneys are independant of eachother, or certainly should be.
Try a roll of loft insulation - the rockwool type. Roll it up and stick it in the 'ole.
John :)
Make sure it's bagged or you will have fibres floating around.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back