blocking up fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a back boiler removed which has left a hole in the wall. Tere is a 9" brick chimney present which stll has the aluminium flue lining going up it. The question is can I just plasterboard over it to cover it up or do I need to a) remove the aluminium liner, b) brick it up prior to plasterboarding. Any ideas comments would be gratefully recieved

Sponsored Links
hi as long as you have no other fire places in the flue line eg up stairs you can cover it over , but i would advice that you put a grill vent in

there are no other fires it was just for the back boiler flue. Is the grill vent needed to prevent damp building up?

I covered 4 fireplaces up in my home when i bought it (none were in use) and i never put any ventilation in place and i have no problems and that was 10 years ago.

Sponsored Links
The reason for the ventilation is that the top of the chimney may still be open, so rain can get it. the ventiator keeps it dry.

Actually John, that's not quite right.

The purpose of leaving a vent in the flue is to do precisely that, i.e. ventilate it.

The Vapour pressure in the house will force moist(er) air through the fabric of the walls and into the flue void, where it will cool and condense. This in turn can result in shady patches on the chimneybreast itself.

Another reason to make a vent is so that 'passive stack ventilation' within the room occurs via the flue. This ventilates the room and helps to offset the results of double-glazing (amongst other things).

Blocked flues are a major contributor to condensation and a vent should always be left: 225 x 150 will do, covered with a suitable grille.

Of course, it will also help dry out any rainwater, but this is better dealt with by a cowl in the first place.

HTH

Patrick

www.pdoyle.net

don't worry, he may have been thinking about something else. Caps are always a bad sign.

macker said:
hi as long as you have no other fire places in the flue line eg up stairs you can cover it over , but i would advice that you put a grill vent in

Just out of interest/future reference, what if there are other fires in the flu line, eg you have a gas/real fire downstairs but want to block off upstairs (with plasterboard). Does it matter what kind of plasterboard, is 12.5 mm put on with board adhesive sufficient or is it preferable to use foil backed - can you use adhesive with foil backed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back