Blocking up my chimney!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a non working fireplace and it has been capped in the loft. I have removed the fireplace and now wish to place plasterboard over the gap. Could I have a problem with condensation if I leave the void with no means of ventilation? Should I pack it with insulation before boarding?

Sponsored Links
If you have other means of ventilation in the room ie wall vent or trickle vents then just go ahead and block it off, if you did end up with condensation problem you could always put a vent in where it's covered

If you have other means of ventilation in the room ie wall vent or trickle vents then just go ahead and block it off, if you did end up with condensation problem you could always put a vent in where it's covered

The chimney comes off from the wall, and is not ventilated at all, so just blocking it off would create a hollow void with no means of ventilation - BUT would it need to be ventilated, should I just block it off, or fill with insulation to avoid and air inside at all?

Block it completely off - allowing air in will GIVE you condensation.

Sponsored Links
Block it completely off - allowing air in will GIVE you condensation.

Ta.

Does that mean put plastboard over the front and create an empty space behind and that's OK, or stuff it with insulation before blocking it off to prevent any void before putting the plasterboard over the front?

You have to stop the moist warm air going up the chimney. Something like celcon block is best but PB will do if it is a good fit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back