Chimney vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is always suggested that when blocking up a fireplace, a vent should be put in to prevent condensation and damp.

I have a 1970s brick-built house with two chimneys going up the middle, which I no longer use. If I block off the fireplace AND cap the chimney, does it still need ventilation?

2nd point: the pots are short clay pipes about 12inches in diameter. To cap them off I thought of cutting a bit of ply, putting a bit of wire through the middle and dropping it a couple of inches down the pot with the wire tied to a small bar across. then filling the top up with cement, leaving a domed top. Is there a better way to cap off the chimneys?

Sponsored Links
i believe that if there is not risk of water getting into a chimney, ie its properly capped, you don't need to vent it at the bottom.

davidor said:
Is there a better way to cap off the chimneys?
Yes, I wouldn't use cement just incase it ever need in service again, the quickest and the cheapest way is here. Having said that it's best to have a vent chimney cap type and a open/shut vent shutter on the chimney breast below as it's a very cheap way of dealing with ventilation or condensation problem.

Sponsored Links
I would agree. A disused chimney flue will need ventillation so that moisture can escape, and not condense on the flue walls.

As the previous poster said, you ccould buy a capping cowl.

Or, you can remove the chimney pot & using a peice of upside down half round gutter / cast half round pipe, cement that on the chimney stack upstand, so that air can circulate & stop rain from entering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back