Blocking Window Trickle Vents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I purchased a new build property during 2016, which came with double glazed windows and trickle vents. To cut a long story short I am sick of the amount of noise being let in through these vents, even when the vent is closed over with the cover. I spoke to the builders about the issue, who subsequently contacted the window fitters. The window fitters attended and inspected the windows, with no obvious issues identified. However the window fitter did state that he dealt with multiple call outs every day relating to the exact same noise issue I was describing and stated the causation is likely to be the trickle vents, as they are practically a cover over a hole in the window frame. He stated that other people have filled the vents with insulation but he could not recommend this.

I have lived in the house for a number of months but I literally can't live in the house any longer with the noise issue, I am constantly waking up (even with earplugs in) and it is affecting my health.

I realise the possible consequences of blocking the vents in terms of ventilation but I will just have to work around this by leaving windows open slightly when I am at home.

My question is - can anybody recommend suitable material(s) to block the vent with the primary purpose of blocking the noise as much as possible? Also I would like to use a material that isn't too difficult to get out of the vent if I later decide to unblock them for any reason?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Do as was suggested and use insulation material. Pop the screw cover caps off unscrew the cent, fit some insulation, tape over and re-fit the vent. Easily reversible if required. It does make a huge difference.

Although I understand the ventilation aspect, I never understood the point of fitting double glazing and then drilling a bloody great hole in the frame to let noise and cold air in.

It's not brain surgery, old houses leaked like a sieve, which is healthy, to an extent, new houses are leak resistant which can lead to condensation and is not quite so healthy, generally.

Trickle vents are also widely used to allow background ventilation....especially if you have open fires, woodburners , rayburns etc and no air brick .. the house needs to breathe as Freddy says but the government also don't want people to suffer from Carbon Monoxide poisoning......they are a neccasity as many don't believe in opening windows to allow ventilation....

Sponsored Links
Double glazing isn't about keeping noise out, it's about heat retention, and as others her have already said, the trickle vents are designed to give a very small amount of ventilation. I understand completely where you are coming from, so you have my sympathy. I use the foam ear plugs, but they don't work that well, and in the end, I taught myself breathing techniques to help divert attention from the noise.

If you block up the trickle vents, you may find you run out of fresh air to breathe whilst you sleep, and then you either get disturbed sleep, or you'll wake up and go to the loo for fresh air as a result - it's amazing what the subconscious does for you.

Block the vents as suggested, and see how you get on, and leave your bedroom door open, and best of luck.

The Screwfix one does look more suitable but I was thinking that if I put some sort of flexible foam/insulation up there then I can always remove it if I ever needed to?

Noise thru vents is negligible . Far more noise thru the edges of a front door.

The foam will spread into the cavity behind the hole, but can be drilled through when you want to reverse it.

Hi - I have the exact same problem with a house I moved into last Sept 2021. Now its getting colder I need something to stop the actual wind that comes through my vents. Did the above solution work? Which did you go for/would recommend? I have a dog so my windows and doors are open much of the time, but as and when I choose, so I am not worried about ventilation. Thanks :)

House builders are starting to fit acoustic vents now, not cheap but better than the plastic flap they used to use

Just use gaffer tape over the cover or some foam strips would also work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back