New windows. Go with trickle vents or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had the front room and main bedroom wooden windows replaced with PVC ones about a year ago. The wooden ones used to get a lot of condensation which was caused by poor insulation. The new ones are considerably better and it is rare to even see any condensation. The new ones don't have trickle vents. I don't know why I wasn't even asked.

I am now looking to get the back bedroom/study, stairway bay window and the kitchen window and door replaced. I am going with a different company as the last companies quote is too high.
I have been asked if I wish to keep the trickle vents.
Part of me is thinking that they are a good idea but on the other hand I always kept them closed and don't have damp issues and as I live next to a main road I don't know if they will let in more road noise if fitted.

Are windows with trickle vents noticeably worse with sound insulation?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If your existing windows have vents they "must" be replaced.
They shouldn't even give you the option but its nice that they have.

Personally I'm not a fan of them, Once fitted your A,B or C rated windows would no longer pass those tests. Also they are noisy, dirty and look awful (Its just a big hole in your nice new windows).

There are good reasons for having vents but nothing that opening your windows a bit every now and then wont solve and if you have the option to close the vent whats the point?

If you find that you need them later on they can be retro fitted although it will cost a bit more this way.

I have done a little searching and the ventilation regs had an amendment in 2006 so that new windows no longer must have trickle vents if the originals did. However the overall ventilation must still be sufficient.
To be fair to the windows company they did say a forced air exchanger should be installed in the loft if the trickle vents were not installed.

I have done a little searching and the ventilation regs had an amendment in 2006 so that new windows no longer must have trickle vents if the originals did. However the overall ventilation must still be sufficient.
To be fair to the windows company they did say a forced air exchanger should be installed in the loft if the trickle vents were not installed.

Not a regulation I have heard of unless you mean the one that talks about (unless another form of ventilation is fitted).

Sponsored Links
Bad wording on my part.
Mainly I was looking at http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/buildingregulations/approveddocuments/partf/windows which re-reading the summary seems to only be saying that you no longer must have trickle vents even if the originals didn't have them.

The actual regulations say the new windows 'should' have trickle vents if the originals did so it is not a 'must have'. I suppose this is to allow the building to be updated with sealed windows and an alternative ventilation system fitted which is sort of what the window company suggested would be required if they were not fitted.

The front windows I had last year don't have the vents and they are the main ones I want to be quiet so having trickle vents on the others is not going to be a big issue anyway. I will see what they look like when I go to the showroom and finalize the quote at the weekend.

Although I said I kept the original vents closed I should also take into account the window seal. The 25 year old wooden windows have what is best described as a bit of bent plastic to seal then against the frame when closed which isn't really doing the job. So effectively I have quite a bit of ventilation anyway!

Wouldn't personally choose to have them ( except where there is an open fire , boiler etc and nop other form of ventilation ) ...As Gasman says if there now they will need to go back , Certass have certainly told me this in the past and should fail the installation if they know they were there before ( note I said if they KNOW they were there before.... )

Have them in my house and I hate them. They let in a lot of noise. And draughts.

Have them in my house and I hate them. They let in a lot of noise. And draughts.

Draughts, well that's kind of the point

I do know what you mean though ;)

I have heard stories from around different areas I work that some BCO's are relaxing their stance and are starting to allow the night vent for background ventilation, don't know how true it is though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back