Bloody stop cocks and flush valves!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, I’m up at the workshop and doing a simple change over of a dripping toilet flush valve. Trouble is, the f’cking thing works when I’m blowing through it, stops when I lift the float but not when there’s water going through it! Tried fitting the old one back and now that’s doing the same. What’s going on? To make matters worse, the main stopcock to the workshop seems to have disintegrated inside when I’ve been turning it off and on continuously. I haven’t got a stopcock in the street so how easy are they to just change the centre piece over working ‘live’ or should I get some freeze spray?

IMG_0934.jpeg
IMG_0935.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Went up the builders merchants, bought EXACTLY the same make of valve, £11.99 (compared to £7.49 at Screwfix). Told him the problem I was having and said if this is the same, its coming back. I tested it by blowing through it and lifting the float arm, worked fine, fitted it to the toilet, turned the water on, it started filling, I lifted the float arm and ....it just kept on filling! Right, I thought, I'm going to film this overflowing and take the f'cking thing back. The cistern filled and when it got to the top....It stopped! I tried it several times, if left alone, it works, if I lift the float arm, it just carries on flowing. W.T.F? That makes no sense. I suspect the one I bought from Screwfix would have done that if I'd have left it to fill to the top instead of 'testing' if it works. Can't take either of them back now. Oh well, that'll teach me for being impatient, I'll just leave it as it is.

Can any plumbers on here tell me why those valves worked the way they did?

Sponsored Links
Same here torbeck fill valves last very little time in this area (aggressive hard water)
Fluidmaster much better.
The packet it came in had Torbeck on one side and fluid master on the other.
Stopped using that model for the reason you mentioned
Nobody else seemed to have a short one in a different make, mind you, I only tried B&Q (no short valves at all), Screwfix and a local builders merchant - any other size would hit on the siphon.

Still, why would it not stop the flow when I lifted the arm but would when it rose with the water level?

The packet it came in had Torbeck on one side and fluid master on the other.

Nobody else seemed to have a short one in a different make, mind you, I only tried B&Q (no short valves at all), Screwfix and a local builders merchant - any other size would hit on the siphon.

Still, why would it not stop the flow when I lifted the arm but would when it rose with the water level?

The Torbeck is an equilibrium float valve, they work differently compared to the normal piston type valve.

Yes, that’s what happens, I thought they would shut off as soon as they are lifted like those ones with a ball on the end of them pthat you have in your cold water or expansion tanks.

Perhaps because you didn't give it enough time. Water has to flow through a tiny pinhole (which has a plastic pin in it) to reach the far side of the diaphragm and build up pressure once the small pilot valve is closed by the float arm. Only when that pressure is sufficient will the diaphragm close off the main valve.

Perhaps because you didn't give it enough time. Water has to flow through a tiny pinhole (which has a plastic pin in it) to reach the far side of the diaphragm and build up pressure once the small pilot valve is closed by the float arm. Only when that pressure is sufficient will the diaphragm close off the main valve.
It must have been that. I was expecting it to work like a ball valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back