Bloody stupid bath strip/seal!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently fitted a full new bathroom suite plus i did all the tiling etc singlehandedly. And to be honest im very impressed with the finish apart from one tiny but annoying problem.

I decided to go for a PVC/rubber bathstrip as opposed to siliconing the joint between the bath and the tiles as ive had problems with mould occuring a year or so after installation on other jobs.

Anyway after a month the PVC/rubber seal has started to lift in several places where it sits on the bath. The bits that are lifting are about 1 inch in length and its lifting up to 4mm. Ive tried sticking it back down by putting small amounts of silicone underneath and sitting a weight on it for 24 hours but it hasnt done the trick. Any ideas how to stick these annoying bits of bath strip back down again??

I was considering superglue or some other resin as im at my wits end!
Ive asked admin to post a pic of the problem on this thread. If anybody wants a closer look I can e-mail loads of pics and then you can all give me your profesional opinions!

Thanks in advance!

Anthony

Sponsored Links
This is twice in one night I've posted about the same thing - spooky.
The time it'll take to redo the silicone seal around the bath would be less than messing about with that plastic trim.
If there's one thing I know about sealant round baths is don't use that Unibond sealant from B&Q (the high performance stuff for power showers). It costs about £8 a tube and is garbage. I'm trying some much cheaper stuff from Dow Corning (sanitary sealant) at the moment for about £2.60
If it takes you an hour a year to redo the sealant, so what? How long does the wife spend cleaning the bathroom. No comparission. Just do the right thing and redo the seal - you know it makes sense.
Regards,
Gcol

Thanks for the quick reply, but its not that easy to remove the existing bath strip as there is an angled lip that sits behind the bottom layer of tiles. To remove the strip I would need to remove the bottom layer of tiles, and I really cant bring myself to do that as the whole bathroom looks spot on apart from the slight lifting of the lip on the bath seal. Any other ideas?? Next bathrrom I do i'll stick to using silicone I think :(

Thanks again,

Ant

Sponsored Links
You don't need to take off the bottom row of tiles. Just cut the plastic trim off. Cut down at an angle against the bottom edge of the tile. You may be surprised to see that with downward pressure from the knife the trim may just pop out anyway.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Gcol

Seriously those bathroom seals look worse after a time, if you get a nice smooth finish with sealnt then no mould will appear, its where theres imperfections in the running of the sealant where water stagnats that causes mould on the seal. it is not easy getting a super smooth run.

but i have found a new type of seal, that i really think is good.

Check out the link.

http://www.teleseal.co.uk/

Let me know guys what you think, personally i think its more versatile than standard seal strips.

Nothin beats silicone. If you have mould problem then you need to think about ventilation to your bathroom. The other replier is right,, smooth finish is important. Try dabbin fairy liquid on your finder before smoothin it. You finder is better than any of the tools on the market. Make sure you use silicone sealant and not an acrylic one. Personally I use silicone frame sealer from wickes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back