How much silicone?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right, decided it was a good day to re-do the silicone around the bath as it was a bit past its best.

The house is relatively new (just turned 10) and the bathroom is the original, Ive pulled the old silicone out and im not joking they must have used a couple dozen tubes of silicone to seal it, towards the head end of the bath the gap is about 1cm between the bath and the tile and 1cm deep, its taken an absolute age to get off.

Anyway, I just wanted to check, what is the best way to re-seal this? Same again - shedloads of silicone or do I fill in the gap a bit before using silicone (if so with what)?

I guess the main problem is that the bath probably isnt level but theres not much I can do about that right now, we are getting the whole bathroom replaced at some point this year so this just needs to be a quick fix - still want to do a half decent ob though - thus the question!

Any advice welcome!
IMAG0006 4.jpg
IMAG0007 5.jpg

Sponsored Links
Personally, i would fill the gap with silicone, then go and get a nice quadrant to cover it.

if you can remove bath panel and see if the bath can be wound up a couple mm then fill bath and silicone

As above, try and wind the legs up to minimise the gap first. A plastic quadrant might be the best option in the long run.

Sponsored Links
Right, Bath panels not coming off, dont know why but its made from a sheet of thick plastic (5mm+) which looks to have been put in before the tiles were put on the wall, so to get it out means breaking it... or taking the tiles off both of which are more work than I was planning for this!

Raising the bath is a bust anyway as the tiles on one wall are about 1cm above the bath in that corner but on the other side of the corner they are not as far so i'd only be able to reduce the gap by a few mm anyway, not enough to make a real difference.

The pic below is with a full bath, assuming its going to raise a little when its drained its probably as close to the tiles as it should be...

IMAG0008 3.jpg

Looks like Im going for the sh*t loads of sealant option (Go out and buy shares in unibond they are about o make a big sale :) )

Yeah, Its only got to last 6 months or so until we get the whole thing replaced so Im siliconing it now and will look at something to cover it to make it look neater - but honestly its the kids bathroom (no one else in the house uses it) so Im not too bothered about the look just wanted the best *functional* solution.

Im going to have to build it up though the first load of silicone is in there but is slowly glooping deeper into the gap so holes keep apearing, Ill wait till this dries and then do another pass over the whole thing.

F*king redrow new build... The sink in the downstairs bathroom is also at an angle so you cant put soap/anything on the back of it or it slides off... the en-suite sink is the opposite so water pools at the back... :)

Cheers for the advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back