Blooming on new exterior varnish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
I am varnishing the outside of my wooden lodge with Bondex classic teak. All OK until this morning when I went out to look at the bit I did yesterday. A very heavy dew came down last evening and all that I painted in the afternoon has bloomed.
The sun is out now but the blooming does not seem to be going away.
Do you think it will disappear with sun and air or will I jave to rub it all down again. Will the next coat cover the bloom as it does the sanding marks.
Any suggestions very welcome.
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Once the blooming has occurred, due to the temperature dropping there is nothing you can do by lightly abrade it and give another coat of varnish. The Temperatures at this time of year are not high enough to be painting outside. You will have a very short window of time during a good day to do any painting before the temp drops to low.

Thanks Robbie uk, I should have mentioned that my lodge is in the Algarve, Portugal. Temperatures are still good, last evening dew was a big surprise as the air had been quite dry up till then.
Waiting for it to harden a bit now before sanding.

I am painting outdoors at the moment (in the UK). It is a mare. The dew has frequently caused rivulets of water on the guttering which results in permanent (and visible) droplets in the finish (that then need to be sanded back).

You might benefit from an oxidising additive such as Terebene to speed up the curing time.

Sponsored Links
I am painting outdoors at the moment (in the UK). It is a mare. The dew has frequently caused rivulets of water on the guttering which results in permanent (and visible) droplets in the finish (that then need to be sanded back).

You might benefit from an oxidising additive such as Terebene to speed up the touch dry time.

BTW, (in most cases) if the varnish hasn't cured, you don't really need to sand it.

All fixed now. A light abrade and the next coat was fine. I agree that it was probably not necessary to sand as it seemed to be fine even over the areas that still showed bloom.
Thanks for everyones help. No more varnishing in the afternoons!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back