Blotches on painted plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi were advised to paint the plaster of our new kitchen in advance of the installation starting tomorrow. The plaster has had a week to dry but we were pretty convinced it wasn't fully dry, however on asking we were told to paint it anyway. The painting has gone well apart from two patches where blotches have formed as the paint hasn't stuck to the wall (see photo for the biggest spot).

While I'm assuming it'll now be pretty hard to get a perfect finish we're most concerned with just getting the marks covered.

Any advice on how long to wait or best approach for a nice even coverage that will hide the marks?

Attachments

• 20211003_180618.jpg
    20211003_180618.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 59
Sponsored Links
Not yet. Do you think it's better to try another mist coat first or just wait a week for the plaster to dry further before trying the top coat again? It's a fairly small area where the paint isn't sticking.

Was it a skim of plaster? As in a top coat flattening out the wall.
It could just be where the plasterer has wiped some pva.
I'd give it a little sand down and another mist coat in that area.
Were there any dark wet looking Patches before painting? If it was a full on coat of plaster a week seems a bit little on time to dry out.

Sponsored Links
It was mostly a skim coat in that area I'm pretty sure. There were a few darker patches, for sure it wasn't as dry as I would have normally left it if we hadn't been told to paint it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back