Painting Raised Wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All - new member here.

Was painting over what appeared to be a old plastered wall which was pretty smooth. However as the paint has dried the pattern of a raised wallpaper has started to come through which was never visible before.

I reckon it must be a thin coat of plaster has been applied years ago over the paper for some reason, and that the cream paint on it previously has been hiding the sin.

Any suggestions as to how I can paint over and hide the pattern? Wall is lath and plaster, and I'm not able to remove and re-plaster.

Wall has had two undercoats of white to try to prepare it for top coat.

Cheers,

Andy

Sponsored Links
It may be the "thin" plaster over the wallpaper is allowing the paper beneath to get wet and show, or staining (perhaps nicotine) from the old paper to bleed through.

Are you sure its paper underneath?

It's quite unusual to skim over paper, it may be Artex, if so bear that in mind when drilling the wall at any time, because there is the possiblity of asbestos in Artex.

Either way I would go for a proper stain block paint, Zinsser 123 Bullseye is water based and quick drying so if needed you can get two coats on in a day.
That should certainly stop the marks coming through.

Thanks for the advice.

I got Zinsser 123 Bullseye and after only one coat it's dried without any sign of the pattern coming through.

Seems to have done the trick brilliantly.

Cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back