Blotchy mist coat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've tried painting today some skimmed walls (left to dry for about 4 months) with some Dulux Supermatt watered down by about 25%. However in some parts the finish is very blotchy and almost looks like there is some sort of stain on the plaster.
Any idea how to rectify this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Dan

Difficult to see but Looks like the plaster may have a very polished finish and the mist coat has not soaked in. Try very a fine rub down to take the polish off without causing deep visible scratches. Also your mist coat needs to be much thinner than 25% (I assume you mean 25% water - 75% paint, if so it should be the other way around if not even thinner)

Good luck

Mist coats do look a bit blotchy, the plaster could be over polished so you need to check the paint is well adhered, if it is carry on as normal, if not apply a coat of zinsser gardz ( i know i mention gardz a lot but it really does solve a lot of problems).

Errr... can't agree with watering down by 75%, you may as well throw a bucket of water at it! Supermatt is quite thick, 25-30% is fine

Sponsored Links
Errr... can't agree with watering down by 75%, you may as well throw a bucket of water at it! Supermatt is quite thick, 25-30% is fine

I have known some who water down that much. They tend to call them search coats rather than mist coats. The intention being to highlight the floors in the plaster prior to sanding and refilling.

I just sand before the mist coat...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back