Should I still mist coat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a room skimmed. After a few delays, I am finally getting around to painting it over 12 months later.

I am using Dulux Supermatt in white. I have read some apply this as is...without watering down.

But....I wanted to check...

With the plaster skim being fully dry....should I still mist coat the room? Then I assume maybe two proper coats.

Many Thanks...

Sponsored Links
the purpose of the mist coat is to soak into the surface, which, being bare, will be very absorbent. This will enable the later coats to adhere better.

BTW as it is (should be) fully dry by now, it won't need to dry out through the paint, so it isn't necesary to use Supermatt (it has the special property, as a non-vinyl paint, of being porous enough for new plaster to dry out through it). However it will do no harm. It isn't very durable.

Sponsored Links
I use Dulux, only need to water it down 1/4, much easier to manage without getting yourself and everything else covered in paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back