Blow Torch for DIY'er

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am planning a set of 22mm Flow and Return pipes and need advice on the blow torch and gas I should purchase. I've seen that they range from £20 to £120. Can someone please suggest what I should be buying given that I am not a plumber but equally don't want to be fighting with something for the duration of my job! I will be using lead free solder and flux for my fittings.
Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Sponsored Links
This should do you, and you'll need a bottle of propane from a plumbers merchants, or I think B&Poo sell them

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks for the link.
Have you tried that torch yourself pal? Seems to be reasonably priced...

Sponsored Links
I haven't, I use Rothenberger Super Fire torches, but they're about £60 and a bit much for a single DIY job. That looks like a cheaper, more plasticky copy

I agree Rothenberger It may seem a lot to pay to do a few joints but if the cheaper blow torch results in just one leaky joint the cost and nconvenience of that repair will be a lot.

If your advice is to pay the extra and buy a Rothenberger as it's necessary for the job I am doing, I will do that but didn't want to go buying a tool that the pros would for a one-off job. Having said that, it would only take one leak to render the whole thing a failure and I do have around 70 metres of 22mm Copper to lay. What do you think guys?

No need to go to the expense of unleaded solder its on heating pipes and leaded solder is perfectly OK and will be easier for a diyer to use

I'd say the cheaper torch should be ok. I doubt it would give several years of daily use being regularly chucked in and out of a van like the Rothy one will, but your obviously not going to give it that type of abuse.

Thanks Elkato531. I don't want to cut corners where I shouldn't but equally don't want to throw money unnecessarily. I will go with the chepaer option unless someone feels strongly in a different direction.

I've done plenty of DIY end feed soldered plumbing over the years, originally using cheapo torches - never had a joint leak, always make sure it's prepared properly, heat evenly making sure you don't burn the flux off and will be fine. Clean the joint once cool and then inspect with a small mirror to make sure you can see solder all the way around. Now got a Rothenberger same as the pros, it's more controllable but also is a lot hotter so easy to overheat everything if you're not careful. I've always used lead free solder with Fry Powerflow flux.

Having to light el cheapo torch with matches or a lighter is a pain so at least get one with an ignition. Then again I like using good quality tools too so take your pick!

One for £20 from your local plumbers merchants is likely to do fine for a one off job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back