Blowing 12v Bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive got a lot of low voltage lighting in my kitchen and unfortunately they blow a bit too quickly for my liking. Ive got spot in the bathroom as well and they are absolutely fine, never had to replace a bulb yet, but the kitchen is a differnt story altogther.
Im using RING lights, MK switches and they are being fed by a dedicted circuit from the fuse box.

Can anyone shed any 'light' as to why they keep blowing so quicky.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Are the ones in the bathroom Ring too? If not, it could be the transformers that came with the cheap Ring lights (sorry to be harsh but they are DIY store specials!) or you could be replacing the blown lamps with cheap lamps. Either that or they may be getting too hot...are they covered with insulation?

Most likely the transformers as mentioned by the previous poster. Decent one's will soft start and be better regulated. Cheap one's 'jolt' the bulbs each time you throw the switch and this over stresses the bulbs.

Yep bathroom ones are exactly the same make, im thinking its more to do with them getting too hot. Blown bulbs are being replaced with Osram makes but im goona try these 'long life 10000hr' ones next time

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Osram aren't bad, though there was a major counterfit scam going on for a long time with them. You may have just been unlucky and got some dodgy ones... :?:

I'm having exactly the same problem with my RING spots (mr11)bathroom fine but have to change the kitchen ones regularly, I tried the longlife ones with no improvement, the only difference I can see in the two layouts is vibration (walking on the floor of the bedroom above the kitchen).

Cant be the walking coz mine is in a suspended ceiling in the kitchen. How long did the long life ones last ?? longer than the standard or the same ??

it's been about 8 months since i fitted them....lost 3 of the 6 within 2 months the rest are still going strong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back