Blowing off in my toilet...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently fitted a new toilet in my bathroom. One of those close-coupled ones with the flapper valves: but this isn't a discussion on how unreliable these may or may not be! ;)

On the instructions for the float valve it said that there was a pre-fitted restrictor that could be removed if the water pressure was too low. However, after plumbing in the toilet, to the mains, I find that the 6-litre cistern fills in ooooh, about 5, maybe 10 seconds. Had a look in the packaging and found a nice little corkscrew thing... seems the restrictor WASN'T pre-fitted!

I love having the cistern fill so quickly. It is great for those 2-flush situations. However, I am aware that there are two risks:

1) Will the valve survive?
2) The capacity of the overflow.

So, can a float-valve take the unrestricted pressure of mains cold?

I have temporarily remedied the situation by turning down the valve on the supply to the toilet.

Sponsored Links
The valve should be able to take mains pressure by design.Even if it did start to fail,theyre cheap and easy to replace.
Recently WCs have been equipped with internal overflows where excess fill is diverted into the siphon and down the pan.If this is the type you have then it should be ok but if its the older 21mm out though the wall version then you may need to mop up.
A feed from the cold water tank instead would have been a way round the issue.
The overriding answer is of course,not to worry.

Incidentally,Screwfix are doing neat little kits for fitting bathroom appliances now-no more chipped china screwholes....

To be honest I might change it anyway, despite being the one that came with the toilet it seems a little too bulky to fit. Took a lot of trial and error to get it in right.

I had wondered about the overflow, it is the internal type. When I get back there I am going to test if the overflow can take the full capacity of the fill. Should do but it would be good for the peace of mind.

I can thoroughly rate toilets that fill in 5 seconds, great idea!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back