Blown Artex, hidden window!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

First time post for me, but have found this site very useful many times in the past and I am hoping someone might be able to give me some advice regarding a problem.

About four months ago I removed some tiles in the kitchen and skimmed over the area with Artex to match the rest of the kitchen. Today I noticed that it had blown in places. After some investigation, involving a drill, a cold chisel and my good lady looking on in despair at my actions, it seems that the area which is blown is at the bottom of where a window used to be (the house next to me, it's a Victorian mid terrace, still has their window). I have drilled holes on both the interior and exterior wall and it seems to be made up as follows starting from the interior:

Artex skim (blown)
Plaster (feels damp)
Plasterboard (the paper layer on the board is damp)
Plaster (I think it is plaster, does not feel very damp)
Gap (about one inch)
Cement render with rib-lath (about 1/2 inch thick)

There are no cracks on the exterior wall (apart from the holes I have just made!) I am not sure what is the best course of action to take to fix this problem or 'precisely' what is causing it, any advice would be most grateful.

Thanks,

Neb

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back