Artex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had quotes form different plasterers to level out a chimney wall, small job and skim the whole of an artexed bedroom!
Some plasterers have told me to get artex of and then they will come and skim, but some have said leave it on. Which should i do? Also had quotes ranging from £250 to 500 for the job lot, how can it vary so much. Most seem to quote by the wall etc, but the cheapest (250) said it is 125 per day. Any advice welcome. thanks.

Sponsored Links
It’s perfectly feasible to over-skim sound Artex but some plasterers won’t/don’t like doing it. I’m renovating my own property which had 70’s “stylish” Artex ceilings & coving throughout. Personally, I prefer to remove it before skimming (only 1 left to go!) but it’s hard, wet work with a steamer & scraper; I wouldn’t do it for someone else. Makes re-skimming easier but it’s no big deal.

You don’t say the size of the ceiling & it depends on local demand but it sounds like a days work; £160 - £200 + materials but £250 would not be unreasonable for a 1st class job; £500 is taking the p***!

£125/day is too cheap IMO; he may be fine & just hedging his bets or he may be inexperienced & need the practice. Nothing wrong with that & everyone has to start somewhere as long as you get a good job at the end of it but I've seen some "plasterer's" efforts where my wife could have done better with broom!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back