Blown skim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After damp-proofing work during the very cold spell I have now discovered that the plaster has blown in a number of areas in the room. I'd wondered if it could be to do with the skim freezing (there was some heating via other rooms and some ventilation) but it's all the walls not just the one onto the outside; things are kept fairly warm / certainly above freezing by the neighbours' heating...

Is there another explanation ie poor workmanship or 'bad' skim mix I need to be aware of? Could it spread?! With patches does all the skim need to come off and redone?

I should say that the whole room was reskimmed to ceiling as well as the skimming over the new plaster on the bottom half where they used cementitious tanking. The blown areas are over both new and old plaster.

:( Help!

Sponsored Links
it could be the cold, it could also be the bags of plaster they used were out of date, ermm could also be just general bad prep work.
after the room was plasterd what was done was there heaters placed in the room??
there is many different variables with plastering, have you called the plasterers back to look at whats happend??

Hi

There was a heater on in the room once a day for a few hours when I was there and I think they put it on whilst they were but in between / drying times I don't think it was on - I don't really know what they did in terms of prep after the plastering or how dry the plaster was or if they left it long enough or anything really other than what I saw at the end of each day but I accepted that they were doing what they were siupposed to be

:confused:

The plasterer did come back at my request and checked the room but I wasn't able to be here when he did; he re-did a couple of patches that he said would actually come away but still there are so many blown / blown and cracked areas and it worries me that he didn't notice them or think they're an issue. I have the 'project manager' coming back tomorrow to discuss my concerns - I really just want an idea of what to discuss with him in terms of rectifying the problem and an idea whether what he is saying is likely.. any help or advice would be appreciated!

although i haven't seen the job it sounds like bad prep to me, and patching it is no good if its blown in as many places you say its all got to come off and start again, don't let the so called project manager fob you off with patching, he may be reluctant to take it all off because of the time and expense but its there fault insist on it.

Sponsored Links
Sorry if you've siad this -

was the heater actually on when skimming? It may be it dried out rather than setting.

Is there anything on the back of the blown skim - dust etc?

Is there any difference between the back of the blown skim from over the render and over the existing walls?

Did they pva the whole lot before skimming - Perhaps this was dry then the skim went on , espceially is heaters used.

I just don't know whether they pva'd or if so if it had dried out -
also I don't know what's behind the blown bits, I don't want to disturb them too much on account of having already had the room painted and a new carpet down. I think I've been a bit naive to think the project manager would check the jobs before progressing to the next bit
:confused:
Unfortunately when the plasterer came to to the 2 patches he thought would actually drop off I couldn't be here and apparently the project manager wasn't either otherwise I would have made pretty darn sure he checked out the rest of the room.

I'll add the pva possibly having dried out to my list of questions I have for him, thanks for that!

Ask first how it was prepped before skimming - see what he says before you offer an answer.

If the pva had dried out (assuming here) then the wall under the skim will be shiny (you'll be able to pick the pva off). If the back of the blown skim is shiny, then it has been pva'd and it may be another cause.

I'd be inclined to pick a small bit off for a look, If I were you - this will have to be done anyway so give yourself a chance to investigate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back