Blown brickwork Internal Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I’m hanging a large very heavy radiator on my kitchen wall. I have a drywall and then slight gap and breeze block. My kitchen fitter initially drilled 8mm hole but the screws were just not screwing tight and I was also waiting for a replacement rad. Tonight I attempted changing the rawl plug and no nothing so I went for a larger rawl plug but seems the hole in the brick is just too large and and nothing is holding. The drill bit went a funny angle too on the top hole so I fear the brick has blown somewhat inside. I’ve tried a 10 x 150mm concrete bolt and that won’t hold. I’m at a loss at what to do next :(

Attachments

• 5F241D64-8986-42A9-BB07-B12FB31BBF39.jpeg
    5F241D64-8986-42A9-BB07-B12FB31BBF39.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 247
  • 39D27C7F-B779-42E2-BFCB-4F086ABD89C6.jpeg
    39D27C7F-B779-42E2-BFCB-4F086ABD89C6.jpeg
    510.5 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
CSutton, good evening.

By any chance is the wall you are trying to get a fix in to is "No-Fines Concrete" or a lightweight thermal block?

Ken

It’s a 12 year old house so the latter it’s breeze block I’m guessing that’s what I can see in my garage.

Are you using dryline wall plugs like Rigifix or corefix? You need a particular kind of plug for drylined walls due to cavity. Try M8 Rigifix heavy duty wall anchors. Each fixing can hold about 100kg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I’m not but I will give these a go! I will try the M6 first as I have a 12mm hole from last drill and I’m conscious the two drill holes are close together :)

That won't work. If the hole is 12mm then it's too much. m6 plugs require a 6mm hole and so forth. Your probably best tracing a line around the bracket and cutting the section of drywall out. See whats happening and if need be drill new holes straight into the breeze block and put plugs in as normal. Bridge the gap with a bit of timber and screw your bracket onto that and into the rawplugs. That way there's no cavity.

Forgot to add, after tracing the line around the bracket cut within the lines by a few mm that way when the brackets go onto the spacer you won't see any of the work

Last edited:
Oh according to the official info an M6 needs at 12mm hole and M8 a 16mm I thought I read? We have wallpaper. Am considering putting some resin in and then a Rigifix as a solution?

To repair thermalite fixings I cut wood dowel of suitable diameter to 120mm length, sharpen one end , [pencil like] dab in some glue and hammer in, they will usually then hold most screws.

Yea your right, was thinking rawl plugs. Personally i wouldn't use resin. Can you move the radiator up/down or left/right and start again? If it were me I'd probably cut a section out thats smaller than the bracket, that way when the bracket goes onto the spacers it covers the work

Yea your right, was thinking rawl plugs. Personally i wouldn't use resin. Can you move the radiator up/down or left/right and start again? If it were me I'd probably cut a section out thats smaller than the bracket, that way when the bracket goes onto the spacers it covers the work

I was thinking of the resin to fill the back of the hole and where it’s possibly blown mortar at the back in between the bricks and then push in the Rigifix.

Can’t move the rad - we have wallpaper and the other 3 fixings are solid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back