Rawl plugs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This probably sounds stupid, but just after some advise of rawl plugs.

Just moved into a new house and finally I have proper walls :) We've purchased a curtain pole which should be easy enough.

The instructions tell me to use a 5mm drill bit which I've tried, however the rawl plug will not fit. My dad was with me at the time and we found out that the rawl plug was equivalent to a 7mm or 8mm so drilled with that. We have come across what we assume is a lintel at the moment and unable to drill any further and push the rest of the plug in, but I'm just worried because the plug is loose in the hole and assume therefore it's too big

Sponsored Links
I prefer to use Fischer plugs - much superior than plugs that come as a 'fitting kit'. The popular sizes are 6 and 8mm, and they have a spline on the end thats grips into the wall to stop them spinning.
The drill sizes are marked on them too.
There's a good chance that you have hit some reinforcing bar within your lintel, unfortunately.
John :)

Yep the drill bits were marked, he's just gone out and bought some new diamond tip masonry bits as they were a bit blunt. Just curious if you should use the same diameter of the plug or smaller

Sponsored Links
What we don't know is if the lintel is concrete or steel. Does the OP have any clues about this?

I don't know at the moment. All I know is that I drilled in, got in about 3/4 way through for the plug and then stopped, wouldn't go any further

Look at the end of the drill bit, does it have little bits of metal filings stuck to it?

When you buy anything that comes with rawl plugs, put the plugs and screws straight in the bin. Use a red rawl plug and a 5.5mm bit for a good fit.

yep although I have to use the screws it came with as they are double-ended and the other end goes into the centre of the bracket

What size are the red rawl plugs, 6mm and therefore using a smaller bit such as the 5.5mm?

yep although I have to use the screws it came with as they are double-ended and the other end goes into the centre of the bracket
You don't have too if the hole ends up to large you can put a longer screw in half way and snip or cut the head off creating a double ended screw.
Are you using sds drill?, only drill which will allow easy drilling if the lintel is concrete.

Sorry I mean diameter Do you always use a slightly smaller diameter bit than the plug because at the moment the plug is loose and I think the hole is too big. Think going to have to fill and make another

how do you think you're going to get the rawl plug in if the hole is a smaller diameter? Like I said, use the same diameter as the rawl plug, the screw expands them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back