Filling Rawl Plug Holes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just starting ripping out my kitchen and have removed the hob extractor fan which hides multiple previously drilled holes where rawl plugs have been in an of course the holes which were holding up the extractor.

The internal wall is concrete block (not thermolite), what do you recommend to fill the holes (so I can re-drill and keep strength in the area) with as I'm convinced I'll end up needing to drill again in roughly the same area when installing the new hood?

Cheers

Simon

Sponsored Links
I wouldn’t bother , unlikely the new unit will require holes near previous but is so just hammer in a wood peg which allows drilling right up to it.

Sponsored Links
it is very difficult if you need to reposition a hole by a few mm's, filling the hole does not always work too well because if the filler is not the same density as the wall then the next hole will either wander in or away from the filler. Sometimes another solution may be to drill new holes in the item that you are hanging so as to get fresh wall to drill into.

Or may be just drill a large diameter hole in the wall at the site of all the previous holes, and knock suitable size piece of wood into that.

I wet the holes with a plant sprayer and fill with filler or sand and cement.

I've done this today, thanks.

it is very difficult if you need to reposition a hole by a few mm's, filling the hole does not always work too well because if the filler is not the same density as the wall then the next hole will either wander in or away from the filler. Sometimes another solution may be to drill new holes in the item that you are hanging so as to get fresh wall to drill into.

Or may be just drill a large diameter hole in the wall at the site of all the previous holes, and knock suitable size piece of wood into that.

Thanks for the reply. That's my concern that I'll be placing just about where the old holes were old rawl plugs remove and now filled with mortar). I've realised that the cabinets were lower than recommended so hopefully the new fixings should be OK fingers crossed but I will bear in mind your points.

Thanks again all:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back