Rawl plug and hanger bolt mayhem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

So this is probably a very basic question but I am really struggling.

I have some coat hooks that I'm trying to install. These hooks come with hanger bolts (M4) which means I can only install M4 size wood to metal dowels.

I drilled some holes into the wall for them to go into. The brick was basically dust so the holes became bigger than that bit I was using - no bother, I just used some filler to fill the hole and place in the the rawl plugs (4mm.size).

I let it dry overnight.

I came to install the M4 hanging bolts but it seems they are not catching at all on the plugs :(

I can't remove the plugs as they're pretty stuck given the use of the filler but also because there is nowhere else the hooks can go.

I can't use a bigger wood to metal dowel as they wouldn't connect to the coats hooks.

What can I do in this situation?

Would it be wise to fill the Rawl plug with some more pollyfiller or grip fill and screw in the M4 hanger bolts?

Sponsored Links
Fill with a cement based filler and let dry, Carefully re drill using low speed and hammer off and hold steady when hammer needs to be engaged. Get new bolts at 50mm longer so you will have fresh brick to drill into. If the area is generally knackered you will have to drill new holes to the side.

Thanks

How would I get the cement filler into the Rawl plug holes? The plugs are pretty small (4mm) so filling these might be a bit difficult.

Or are you saying I should drill the plugs out the wall?

Thanks

How would I get the cement filler into the Rawl plug holes? The plugs are pretty small (4mm) so filling these might be a bit difficult.

Or are you saying I should drill the plugs out the wall?
You should be able to pull the plugs out either by screwing/tapping in a suitable sized screw part way until it grips but before it starts to expand the plug, then pulling both out with pliers on the screw head, or if the plug is near the surface you might be able to grip the plug with needle nosed pliers. Mix in the filler with a small amount of kitchen roll, then push it in to the base of the hole with a thin screwdriver,

Sponsored Links
Any photo ? Can’t imagine a coat hook which requires bolting to wall .

Yep. See below

Attachments

• IMG_20240211_203440.jpg
    IMG_20240211_203440.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_2024-02-11-20-35-57-27_c5fe9731287b05f0589a31ea63f4f60b~2.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-02-11-20-35-57-27_c5fe9731287b05f0589a31ea63f4f60b~2.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_2024-02-11-20-35-39-55_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-02-11-20-35-39-55_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 39
You would just use plastic wall plugs fit those fixings , what did you use ?

I have but the plugs are too big for the fixings and just slide into the hole, not catching plug

If its the fixing that is loose in the plug and the plug is firmly in the wall, then a matchstick or off cut of electrical insulation from a copper wire should be tried before any more invasive work The trick is to get the fitting flush and horizontal without being loose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back