wall cabinet fix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to rehang a kitchen wall cabinet that came away from wall bringing the old rawl plugs with it. Looking for advice on

1. Can I fill the holes with pollyfiller, allow to dry out redrill and fit new rawl plugs?

2. If this will be strong enough how long do I need to let the filler dry given the depth on the holes?

3. How do I get the filler right down into the holes without air pockets?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jambobean

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome ambobean :D :D :D

assuming its brick and plaster

fill the hole with poly filler no7 masonery bit drill a 2" hole knock in the brown plug below the surface 1/4 inch[6.5mm] then use a 2 1/4" no 8 screw or 4.5mm x55mm

if the screw is more than 3mm from the wall suface [thicker brackets] add the bracket size to the screw length

Can you not relocate the cupboard an inch or two to a new location, or has it got to go back exactly where it is now?

Roughcaster.

Hi
Thanks for advice so far.
The reason I can't resite the cabinet is it has to fit against other cabinets that are still in place. So it would be preferable to put it back exactly where it came from.

Cheers

JB

Sponsored Links
no no no! Not Polyfilla!

Drill the hole a bit deeper into sound brick so you can use a longer screw

Test that the plasplug will go right into it

remove the dust from the hole with a vacuum cleaner or squirted water

Get a tube of no-more-nails or simlar, push the nozzle deep into the hole so it fills from the back (there must be no air-gap at the end)

push your plasplug deep into the hole so that the no-more-nails bulges out at the surface (you may need to insert the screw a couple of turns to push it in, or tap it lightly with a small hammer)

smooth the NMR with a wet finger

let it set overnight

and it will give you a good strong fixing, the plasplug will not come loose or turn in the hole or pull out. It is important that the plug and screw are mostly in the brick, not the plaster.

This NMR in the hole for plasplugs gives a dependable fixing, and is the best DIY tip I've heard in 20 years.

Just drill existing holes to 70mm and use timber wedges hammered in to replace wall plugs, much more secure than plastic plugs, the cabinet should be screwed to adjacent cupoard so the weight is shared by all the cup'ds fixings.

Just a quick thank you to all who replied. Cupboard up and secure, I used JohnD's advice as it best suited the situation.

Cheers

JB

:) I love a happy ending.

Best new DIY trick I've had in 20 years, that.

Gripfill ideal for it ;) Have done it that way a few times when the masonary drill bit can slip sideway slightly making the hole slightly too big.

If you cannot wait then use injecting chemical fixings or resin fixings (a bit dearer this way), rock hard within 20mins

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back