Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a coat hanger in the wall
It's come off with the raw plugs

The holes seem to have plaster or concrete coming loose
I can feel this just tapping around the area

What do I do?

Should I just fill with a filler and then redrill the holes again?
I would suspect that this won't last very long and that the hole might now become a big chunk out of the wall

What should I do?

Any advice would be great

Thanks

OM

Sponsored Links
Coats are heavy and the fittings require a good fixing. I assume the wall is brick - you want to redrill holes that go through the plaster and into the brick. Drill the hole deep enough to allow the whole of the plug to enter the brick, then using screws long enough to go through the fitting, plaster and deep into the plug, reattach the fitting to the wall.

thanks for the reply
so i should be too worried about bits of the wall seeming to be loose around the area?

thanks

Sponsored Links
another option if its just a bit loose
hammer another 1/4-1/2 off a plug [long strips]in the center to expand the plug enough to grip
but filling and moving a few inches is always the best option

thanks for the reply

i was thinking of just using a slightly bigger raw plug?

the very best method to overcome the problem of the loose plasplug (I bet you are not really using a Rawlplug) is this:

Drill the hole. Verify that it penetrates at least an inch into the brick or block (ignore any length that is in plaster). Verify that it is deep enough and wide enough to accept the plug and the screw.

Clean out all dust from the hole very thoroughly. A vacuum does a fair job, a squirt of water does an excellent job.

Push the nozzle of a tube of no-more-nails or similar deep into the hole, and inject it so the hole fills from the back as you withdraw the nozzle, leaving no air bubble

Push the plasplug in, adjusting so that it is aligned straight, and the end is slightly below the surface of the wall (you can put a screw a couple of turns ONLY into the plug to use as a handle

smooth off any excess adhesive with a wet finger, and press it flat

Leave it overnight to set

Drive in the screw. The no-more-nails will fill the space between the plug and the brickwork, and will transmit the expansive force to the brick. This will give you a very strong and firm fixing that will not turn, come loose, or fall out.

This method is fairly new and is not found in many DIY books or known by some older workmen.

the very best method to overcome the problem of the loose plasplug (I bet you are not really using a Rawlplug) is this:

Drill the hole. Verify that it penetrates at least an inch into the brick or block (ignore any length that is in plaster). Verify that it is deep enough and wide enough to accept the plug and the screw.

Clean out all dust from the hole very thoroughly. A vacuum does a fair job, a squirt of water does an excellent job.

Push the nozzle of a tube of no-more-nails or similar deep into the hole, and inject it so the hole fills from the back as you withdraw the nozzle, leaving no air bubble

Push the plasplug in, adjusting so that it is aligned straight, and the end is slightly below the surface of the wall (you can put a screw a couple of turns ONLY into the plug to use as a handle

smooth off any excess adhesive with a wet finger, and press it flat

Leave it overnight to set

Drive in the screw. The no-more-nails will fill the space between the plug and the brickwork, and will transmit the expansive force to the brick. This will give you a very strong and firm fixing that will not turn, come loose, or fall out.

This method is fairly new and is not found in many DIY books or known by some older workmen.

john, that sounds awesome
plasplug?? whats that? never heard of it before
Rawlplug - aren't they all Rawlplugs? :)

EDIT: i was just about to send a picture of my 'Rawlplugs' when i noticed 'plasplugs' written on

is it ok to use a plasplug?

thanks

OM2 as I mentioned before, the art is ti ensure you are drilling into the brick (not mortar around the brick, or just into plaster !). Drilling the brick with the correct size hole for the rawl plug (just a brand name for these type of fixing) will give a solid fixing for a weighty coat hanger.

Now come on, and get the job done ;)

job done
i've made slightly bigger holes and have put in a bigger plasplug

ahem... erm... the previous one in there was about 3/4 of an inch :)
i don't think any brick was touched

i used the no nails and have left to dry over night

thanks for all the replies and the help

i don't think any brick was touched

That is what I thought. You will not get any strength if the rawlplug is not into the brick. Mortar / plaster etc are too soft.

Glad to hear you have sorted it !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back