Loose wall plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have a wall plug that is not gripping and I do not want to redrill as the existing hole / plaster is quite flaky. I have therefore taken the wall plug out and filled the hole with some B&Q own brand interior grab adhesive and then re-inserted the wall plug, I have left it for 5 hours but it still feels a little soft, should it have become solid by now or is it best to leave it for 24hours?

Many thanks,

Sponsored Links
What sort of wall is the hole in? is it 18mm plasterboard?

I find the no-more-nails or equivalent very effective.

Did you clear out the loose dust from the hole? if it is packed with dust, it is never going to grip well.

I actually squirt it out with a water spray, and the adhesive is still firm by next day.

Try it tomorrow. When you drive in the screw, it will apply axial pressure to force the expanding plug against the sides of the hole, so it should go very firm (unless you left left an air gap).

Yes, it will be useful to know what the hole is drilled into. I am assuming brick, block or mortar joint. You talk as if you have just drilled into plaster. That's no use, unless you want to hang something light, like a postcard.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your replies. I have drilled into the brick as hole is quite deep, deep enough for a brown plug. I will leave it for a another hour or so and will then have a go.

Hi all - the grip hadn't gripped at all and wall plug still spun around. Took option b which was to take everything out of hole and filled it with match sticks, then screwed directly into it but this has not worked. I need a quick solution, should I have used the wall plug and then surrounded it with the match sticks? Any help greatly appreciated.

Better to whittle your own wooden plug from a scrap of dry timber to match the exact size and shape of the hole rather than trying to pack out the hole with an assortment of odds and ends.

Make it over-length. Try for a 'driven fit', needing to be tapped in with a hammer. Cut your plug flush with the wall after fitting, and then drill a small pilot hole in the end just to start the screw.

If the grip hadn't gripped, I reckon it was probably loose dust. Wash out the hole with a water jet from a plant mister or Fairy bottle, it will soon go dry because the brick is absorbent. Put more adhesive in it, starting with the nozzle right at the back of the hole to avoid air pockets, push the plasplug in just below the surface and smooth off with a wet finger. I'll wager that tomorrow it will be fine.

Sorry if I sound like I am being bossy.
What size drill bit did you use?
Is the wall definate brick?
What will you be hanging up?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back