Wall plug loose in brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
An external light fitting is fitted to face brick, one of plugs has come loose in an item fixed to external brickwork ... hole was
close to joint, and edge of brick broken off.

Any good thing to fill hole for re-screwing ? .... ... I have a 'stick' for
a hot melt glue gun that is supposed to be for this task, they any good ?

Sponsored Links
I back fill a lot of the holes with grip fill, then whack another raw plug in it..

just to follow this thought ... clean out hole, part fill with gripfill, and press in a new plug and let it set ? .. is that the way you do it ?

Sponsored Links
it is the best new DIY tip I heard in 20 years.

I used it a lot when refitting my kitchen. Heard about it sometime last year. You can use the cheapest no-more-nails substitute you want (I got some stuff at the Pound shop and as it was water-based I filled the screw-on cap with water before putting it back on the tube, and it doesn't go hard in storage).

It hold the Plasplugs beautifully, they are firm and straight and don't turn in the hole. You can smooth off the stuff with a wet finger for an easy-to-decorate hoe. I let it dry overnight before driving in the screw (I had quite a lot to do). Also for skirting and socket boxes. It even worked in soft crumbly mortar. You can also use it to glue back the bit of brick that broke off.

Clean out all dust from the hole first (I used a little water sprayer) and push the nozzle in deep so it fills from the far end as you withdraw the nozzle.

Car body filler works as well , will stick back broken brickwork, requires less quantity than gripfill and goes off in less than 10mins.

Gripfill is awesome stuff and smells lovely! :LOL:

I actually use a 'different' stuff to Gripfill, but it is similar in grab, texture etc.
I found 'Gripfill' a bit too fast in 'skinning over' and once that happens it seems pretty poor ... and it you are sticking on 4.2m lengths of skirting you need a few minutes of 'open time'

I did a small comparison test, tried sticking a piece of hardwood skirting to my drylining board (Fermacell) ... I tried all the usual products ... and found the weakest to be 'No More nails' and the best to be 'Pink Grip'
http://www.constructionchemicals.co.uk/acatalog/pink_grip.html

Not a full scientific test, but just by amount of force needed to pry off the wood ... materials broke before pink grip came free.

Noticed in my local Plumbers Merchants a product called "Sticks like s**t" which I have to give 10 out of 10 for a name, not tried that yet though.

Noticed in my local Plumbers Merchants a product called "Sticks like s**t" which I have to give 10 out of 10 for a name, not tried that yet though.

p4010913_x.jpg

thats been out for years

That's it ... I'd not seen it before.
Is it any good ? Is it thick like Gripfill or more like the 'no more nails' stuff?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back