Raw plugs too big for holes -grr!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am putting up a wall-mounted bookshelf in my daughter's bedroom.

I drilled the holes (6.5 bit, which looked about right) and popped in the plugs (brown) only to find that the plugs are are too big for the holes, sticking out by about 10 mm.
Now they are stuck in the wall and I daren't pull them out, in case half the wall comes out with them. I drilled pretty deeply, I thought, so I'm not sure if it is the width or the depth of the hole that is wrong.

What do I do now? Do I just pull hard on the plugs and risk pulling out a big old chunk if wall too, or do I need to drill them out? Or can I sheer the ends off the plugs and still screw into them? My husband won't be home for ages and he would be sooo smug about it, I just can't stand the thought of it :oops:

Any advice gratefully received...

Sponsored Links
if you arer fairly confident that the hole is deep enough but the plugs are stuck, put a short screw into each plug and tap it with a hammer. It will go in until it reaches the bottom of the hole. You can then unscrew the screw to take it out.

If if still sticks out, use side-cutters and/or a Stanley knife to cut off the protruding part of the plug.

did you vacuum the dust out of the holes?

btw if you lok at the block of plugs, you will find that the numbers for the correct drill and screw sizes are moulded into it, and there are sample holes to fit the screws and drill.

pull them out drill a 50mm hole then knock them back in
if you read the plastic holding them together it will say 6.5-7mm drill no8 or 10 screws

Thank you so much both!

I'll have a go and do what I can. I feel too scared to just pull, I think, so I might just see if I can get them any further in and cut the excess off. I did hoover the dust out of the holes, but I suspect the holes were too narrow and that I should have used the next size bit up, but it just looked huge. I feel such a ninny! Thanks for pointing out the sizing advice on the plugs, at least I won't have to be in this position again.

Thanks again :)

Sponsored Links
Back again, job done! Couldn't bang them in further, but sheered them level with the wall, screwed on the brackets and nobody will ever know I had a bit of a blonde moment! It looks lovely and feels very secure. And I've learnt something too. Hurrah, you helped me save face ;)

tapping on a short screw usually gets them into a tight hole

banging on the plastic just spreads and cracks it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back