Putting a cupbaord up in the bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am going to sound like a complete spanner here!

I have bought a cupboard for the bathroom (with mirrors on the doors). Its about a foot wide by a foot long, so nothing major.

However, the pack has supplied two 60mm screws and rawl plugs. I have drilled into the wall, the plaster seems pretty fragile. Rawl plugs in, screwed the cupbaord into the rawl plug into the wall.

It is completely not safe. I have taken it out of the wall (rawl plugs included) with my hands straight away.

Now, do I need bigger screws and rawl plugs for it to be more secure? Or is it because the plaster seems quite soft / old? They have only supplied 2 screws too, for the top two corners of the cupboard, so should I use 4 for the bottom two corners too?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
It sounds to me as though you need smaller holes for the rawlplugs, especially if the wall is quite soft. What size drill did you use?

At 60mm you should be into the brickwork not just plaster?
Suggest too large a drill bit used or wrong type.
We all sound like spanners, until we learn to be complete nuts.

This is the thing; they gave me (I think) 4x 35mm either screws or rawl plugs (doesnt say on instructions), and yet told me to use a 6mm masonary drill bit.

I am a massive idiot so forgive my ignorance here! But should a 6mm masonary drill bit require 6mm screws / rawl plugs??

Sponsored Links
This is the thing; they gave me (I think) 4x 35mm either screws or rawl plugs (doesnt say on instructions), and yet told me to use a 6mm masonary drill bit.

I am a massive idiot so forgive my ignorance here! But should a 6mm masonary drill bit require 6mm screws / rawl plugs??
6 mm should be fine unless the walls poor in which case a 5.5mm bit would give a snug fit, drill deeper for loose wall and use longer screw, very often screws supplied are poor quality and can snap when tightened.

Unfortunately they don't know exactly what type or condition of wall you're going to be hanging it on so the advice is very generic. It just one of those things that diy'ing throws at you from time to time. Somewhere you have changed from 60mm screws in your OP to 35mm so not sure if that is part of the problem. As advised, a slightly smaller drill bit, drilled deeper, long screws, tap the plug in nice and firm and all will be well. You will just have to reposition slightly higher perhaps to avoid the holes already drilled.

It's not a hollow stud wall (internal wall) is it?

If so, you need stud wall plugs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back