Deep rawl plug ideas for curtain rail attachment following plaster disaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I put up a set of rather hefty curtains in our living room last year, using supplied screws and rawl plugs (4mm screws, 25mm long). Despite reservations at the time (especially having three screws per bracket separated by only 2-3cm), the supports felt very secure and I was quite happy, however last night it all came crashing down leaving a large amount of plaster damage. For reference it's a Victorian house, so brick plus varying quality of plaster on top.

I'm going to fill the gap then re-fix, but what I'm trying to find is the best way to fix with longer screws so that I go through plaster and then into the brick behind. But I have a couple of issues:

• Most rawl plugs will only go ~2cm deep, i.e. into plaster, and I'm struggling to find deeper ones
  • The holes in the backet can only take a 4mm screw, so the rawl plug needs to be deep but not really wide (for 6mm screws for example)
Any help welcome!!

Sponsored Links
I have used the long plastic plug from frame fixers on occasion - many different diameters are available.
Its also worth considering fixing a timber lath in place, and screwing the curtain supports onto that - it all depends on the situation you have. For sure, 25mm plugs just isn't enough.
John :)

Do you mean those listed as "Hammer fixings"? They seem more appropriate length wise, more like 80mm or 100mm, but not sure what the difference is between those and standard rawl + screw combos..

Sponsored Links
I'm not convinced on frame fixing screws, as I feel they are more desinged for lateral restraint, whereas a curtain rail has more of a pull out effect. The long lengths of rawlplug frm TCR is a good idea, but I cut the top of rawlplugs, and just push 2 in the hole. You either need to find the longest screw that will fit in the brackets, or grip it with a pair of molegrips, and drill the bracket to take the next size screw.

But firstly, you can use Thistle all in one plaster from Wickes to fix the hole, and then refix the bracket.

50mm plugs 6mm .

Agree, those Fischer UX plugs are the bee's knees, in any brick/block type.

In a bind though, I have in the past pushed two red plugs into a deep hole and had no problems with them, even with some very cantilever loads with screw-holes very close together. (floating shelves, etc)

A red plug is usually 1¼ inch long, so a 2½ inch hole, 2 red plugs, with some 2½ inch no8 screws would work well IMHO.

Gaz :)

edit: didn't spot the hole size mentioned by the OP, so not No10 screws unless you can drill it out to 5mm.

Last edited:
But I suspect he needs a very long No 6 screw. I'm amazed that manufacturers don't supply fitting to take a No8 screw. The you could stretch to a No10 if necessary. Of course, the possibility is that OP has been a bit optimistic about how heavy the curtains can be on thie fitting.

don't supply fitting to take a No8 screw.

A 4mm hole will take a number 8, no problem.

A number 8 has a nominal size of 4.17mm, the threads will pull it through fine. (they are 164 'thou' if you want it exact (y))

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back