Blown fuse in immersion heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Pullin Copper Immersion Heater. This morning when I switched on the fuse in the switch blew. It is a 13A fuse and I replaced it with a new one and that blew also. I have tried once more with a new fuse with the same result.

What is happening and what shall I do to fix it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Most likely your immersion heater is faulty. You can cut the power and test it with a multimeter if you have one.

Buy a new one. Some heaters are incoloy (?sp?) sheathed and last longer. You will need a special big spanner and to cut off the water supply to the cylinder.

If the immersion heater is mounted through the top of the cylinder then probably not much water will run out.

If the immersion heater is mounted through the side then A LOT will come out unless you drain it first (running the hot tap does not do this). Loosen the immersion heater big nut while the cylinder is full of water as the pressure will help to prevent the cylinder bending or tearing (they are made of very very thin soft copper).

Or get a plumber in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back