Blown lighting Circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Sat down for my dinner last night and bang all went dark and quiet. hmmm i thought.

No MCB's tripped but the Residual Current Operated Circuit Breaker had, flicked it back on and tripped again, so turned all MCB's to off, flicked it on and turned the MCBs on 1 by 1 until it tripped again.

It turned out to be downstairs lights causing the problem, after checking each light individually all seemed ok, but then i realised in the extension which has the kitchen and bathroom we had a rat problem in the loft a while back which looks as though has returned and they've chomped their way though the wiring.

Chucked a load or rat poison up last night, so hoping the rest have snuffed it now, going up tomorrow to check.

When repairing the wiring could I use a choc bloc or junction box for the damaged areas?

Im assuming that it is the rats that have caused the prob at this stage, everything else works fine just down stairs lights.

Is there anything I should look for just incase it isn't rats?

House is a terraced, only five lights downstairs, living room, dining room, kitchen, bathroom and outside light + 2 extractor fans Kitch & Bath.

Thanks in advance,

Gareth

Sponsored Links
britishrallying said:
When repairing the wiring could I use a choc bloc or junction box for the damaged areas?

Only if it remains accessible for inspection.

The best thing to do would be to replace the entire damaged cable. If that's not possible, then rejoin the cable with crimps.

Remember that the rats may have chewed it in several places, damaging the insulation.

slippyr4 said:
Only if it remains accessible for inspection.

The best thing to do would be to replace the entire damaged cable. If that's not possible, then rejoin the cable with crimps.

Remember that the rats may have chewed it in several places, damaging the insulation.
people have different ideas on what accessable means, but i dont like junction boxes crimps are good but make sure you use proper ratchet crimpers like these and 240V crimps (not 12v ones).

then might be worth getting a spark to test the insulation (they have a special meter), but Id only done that once the rats are definately gone and they can take some getting rid of!

Sponsored Links
Not sure what the damage is up there yet hopefully minimal.

Will let you know how i get on.

Thanks for your help.

Gaz

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back